PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom electrical layout

peter_sm
4th February 2007, 10:12 PM
I am doing a bathroom reno. I have new light and fan for the room, and was wondering what switch layout people normally go for.

We are putting the light switch on the outside of the door frame.

What I want to know is whether it is beneficial to have separate light and fan switch?

Is a combination switch the better option. That is the fan coming on automatically when the light is turned on?

DJ’s Timber
4th February 2007, 10:26 PM
go 1 better and get a timer switch

peter_sm
4th February 2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think I fully understand. Do you mean a timer on the fan, or a timer on the light? What purpose would it serve?

DJ’s Timber
4th February 2007, 11:00 PM
You can set the switch so that the fan comes on when you turn the light on or 30 seconds after the light comes on and turn off when you turn light off or 30 seconds to 2 minutes after light is switched off.

I'll see if I can find some info for you

DJ’s Timber
4th February 2007, 11:16 PM
Found a switch (http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnline/ProductInformation.aspx?CatNo=2031VETF&ref=) at clipsal

Red_B'
4th February 2007, 11:17 PM
I totally agree with the timer option in conjunction with the light switch; particularly if there's a dunny in the bathroom. I think all the switches prob'ly have to be outside the bathroom so that wet hands don't belatedly try to switch things on and thence 'electroplate' you.

cross
5th February 2007, 12:39 AM
What I want to know is whether it is beneficial to have separate light and fan switch?

Is a combination switch the better option. That is the fan coming on automatically when the light is turned on?

Depends what you prefer, do you want to be able to turn the fan on seperatly, or would it be more convenient for you to turn the light and fan on/off from a single switch?

The timers are a good idea, but costly. Looking at the 2005 product guide those time switches go for about $227!!

If you go for both off 1 switch it will be about $9 for the switch plus plate. Or if you go for 2 switches your looking at around $15.

Those prices are not exact and should only be used has a guide.

Tools
5th February 2007, 06:07 PM
You can get a timer that is seperate to the switch,and they are much cheaper than the all in one model.

Tools

cross
5th February 2007, 10:28 PM
You can get a timer that is seperate to the switch,and they are much cheaper than the all in one model.

Tools

Any links for these?