PDA

View Full Version : Lino floors and skirting boards

peter_sm
29th January 2007, 10:54 PM
We are putting a lino floor in our bathroom and having it professionally laid. The lino guy recommends lino first then skirting boards and then wall tiles. His reasoning is that any water will run down the wall tiles, over the top of the skirting board and then on top of the lino. Not that we plan on having buckets of water running down the walls.

The place we are buying the tiles off recommends the wall tiles go on before the skirting board, so the tiles seal behind the skirting board right down to the lino. The concern I have here is that some water could run behind the skirting easier.

Thoughts anyone?

celeste
30th January 2007, 02:11 PM
We are putting a lino floor in our bathroom and having it professionally laid. The lino guy recommends lino first then skirting boards and then wall tiles. His reasoning is that any water will run down the wall tiles, over the top of the skirting board and then on top of the lino. Not that we plan on having buckets of water running down the walls.

The place we are buying the tiles off recommends the wall tiles go on before the skirting board, so the tiles seal behind the skirting board right down to the lino. The concern I have here is that some water could run behind the skirting easier.

Thoughts anyone?

I have never seen skirting boards in a bathroom B4?

I would put doen lino the tile - give the skirts a miss

Celeste

peter_sm
30th January 2007, 06:51 PM
Haven't seen skirts in a bathroom? Umm where have you been? It was pretty common many years ago as was lino. We are looking past the current trends and redoing our poorly reno'd bathroom which was sickeningly done in about 1982 with green tiles on the floor and mission brown skirts, but no tiles on the wall. The entire house otherwise is in pristine 1950's condition and we would like to restore that back to it's former beaty.

ausdesign
31st January 2007, 09:21 AM
Tiles
Lino
Skirting
For my mind butting tiles to the top of skirting looks like an after thought esp. with splayed or bullnose.

Thin bead of sealer to tiles & lino before fixing skirt.
Problem occurs [asthetically]where grout line runs behind skirt. Where skirt runs to an arc. Where the tiles aren't full length of wall.

An alternative may be a vinyl skirt.

pawnhead
31st January 2007, 10:00 AM
I've never seen it either, and I've renovated a lot of old houses in my day. I have seen skirting on top of lino, but never over a tiled wall, so I'm with celeste, and I reckon the skirting would look like an afterthought.
Give the skirtings a miss and save your money for new floor tiles, for the win. :2tsup:

peter_sm
27th February 2007, 03:46 PM
Just had the linoleum floor fitted. 333mm tiles. Looks veeery nice. Charcoal and grey. I am so happy with it and feel we made an excellent choice.