PDA

View Full Version : Pool Deck Advice

mcchaddy
29th January 2007, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

Please see attached Photo.

I want to build a Deck/Pergola/Bali Style Pavilion at the end of our pool. The pool is salt water. The deck is to be a maximum of 250-300 above the coping tile. The dimensions are approx 2.7m Wide by 4m long. Also I'm on a hill and have a high wind rating.

The Blue Dots represent Stirrups, Red Lines represent bearers, Green lines represent Joists and Yellow lines represent posts and roof rails. The stirrups closest to the pool will be dyna bolted to the coping tile as i cant dig holes near it because of pipes and power cable. The stirrups near the fence will be concreted in. Joist's will be attached using hangers. Posts will be 100X100.

My questions are. What timber shoud I use. As its a salt water pool should I use treated pine or some type of hard wood. Also what thickness of timber for spanning the distances. I was think 200x50 for bearers and 150x50 for joists. Is this to big. Decking will be Merbeau I think, as I have a heap left over from a previous deck.

Thanks

Michael.

SilentButDeadly
30th January 2007, 12:53 PM
I'd be using KD Hardwood with a liberal dosing of timber oil......your sizes sound too big but I suspect they only sound too big.