PDA

View Full Version : Pine Panelling

OBBob
23rd January 2007, 08:47 AM
Hi All

I have quite a lot of vertical pine panelling to install around a couple of rooms. It is to be from floor to about 1000mm height. At this stage I only have my standard wall studs ... so I guess I would need to add noggings (probably 3 rows) between each stud to attach the panelling to? That's a lot of noggings ... is there any easier way that I am not thinking of?

In the existing house the panelling is flush with the plaster, so I don't really want to just nail battens on the studs ... unless they were pretty thin.

Thanks in advance.

ausdesign
23rd January 2007, 10:08 AM
If its 12mm [133*12 vj ] we put up plantation loads of it during the 80's & found the best method was to put a row of nogs in line at the plaster join for fixing the dado to & stopping any dishing between studs of the plaster - surface nailed & covered by the dado.
A row midway - staggered 'cause it's easier - with a bead of construction adhesive & secrete nailed.
Surface fixing to the bottom plate covered by the skirting.

If it's not VJ then . . . . . . .

OBBob
23rd January 2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks ... that's what I figured I have to do.

MiraGeorge
12th January 2008, 06:14 PM
Hi,
I want to put pine panelling the ceiling. The rafters are 600mm apart. Do I need to batten at 450mm? 19x140mm is the plan. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

echnidna
12th January 2008, 09:11 PM
Bob,
Another way of doing the panelling is to make it up on the floor with the Top rail attached. Then you can just stand the assembled panels up without worrying about wall noggins.

MiraGeorge,
140 x 19 will comfortably span 600 mm so you don't need to batten the ceiling.