PDA

View Full Version : Baths Acrylic vs enamel

Mcblurter
21st January 2007, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone
Searched for this but can't find anything, hope I'm not covering old ground.
Looking at bathroom reno and a new bath. Currently have an enameled bath, which we got reenameled a few years back, which was done well but not sure how long will last. Have two small children and we like our bath time too!!
What do people think are the best option. The cheaper acrylic baths or more expensive enameled? What wears better, feels better, looks better? 'm sure there are many varied opinions, but would like to hear them (except those who say get rid of your bath!!!)
Cheers
Mcblurter

peter_sm
21st January 2007, 05:55 PM
We are doing a bathroom reno, and as part of it the original enameled cast iron bath is not staying as it is blue. I have looked into repainting, and I don't believe it would last as long as a glazed emamel surface, so it is new glazed steel for us. Also acrylic needs a mortar bed to sit in.

tameriska
21st January 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi, personally I prefer the enamel bath, mainly because I am used to one at home, whenever I go away and have to use an acrylic bath, it feels, umm, hollow, not solid enough, to me they seems to plasticey and cheap.

In some bathroom threads a while ago there was discussion about getting an acrylic liner installed in the existing bath,
http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=32769&highlight=acrylic+bath

Trav
23rd January 2007, 11:04 AM
We just had our bathroom renovated. In the end we went with an acrylic bath for cost reasons. They are much cheaper, have a better range and it feels rock solid. Certainly no flex or movement.

If I was replacing a bath that was used all the time, I would probably ionvest the extra $$ and get an enamelled steel bath, but we are very happy with our acrylic bath.

Trav