PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Tiles, before or after grouting

flashman1207
19th January 2007, 10:12 AM
As per my earlier post I have discovered that polished porcelain tiles are very porous. In light of this I will have to seal them. Some questions:

1. Should they by sealed before the tiler grouts them?
2. If not, won't the tiles absorb some of the grout thereby ruining the entire job?
3. What sealer should I use? Is there really a 'apply once only' sealer available?
4. Will the sealer affect the colour and polish of the tile?

Thanks in advance
Tony

drummelars
20th January 2007, 02:34 PM
id say after all is done give it a good sealer and your done mate. but one of the pros will answer this one as im only a DIY guy

Hybrid
21st January 2007, 10:25 PM
I have polished porcelain tiles in my newly renovated bathroom. The tiler grouted all walls and the floor and left the sealing of the tiles up to me.

I guess when you think about it, what harm will the sealer do to the grout? If it discolours it (which it shouldn't) you can always just re-grout.

Border boy
21st January 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Flashman,
I'm also just a DIYer but my understanding is that you would seal both tiles & grout at the same time. When your tiler grouts, the excess is wiped off with a damp sponge. Why are you concerned that you have to seal? I would have thought that sealing is part of the tiling job that you engaged the tiler to do.
Cheers

flashman1207
22nd January 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm worried that just like the tiles absorbed a marker pen which is not removeable (see my other post) that they may absorb some of the grout when wet and get discoloured....

Anyone recommend a good sealer? preferably a 'apply once' product...