PDA

View Full Version : Rendering foundations

stevenroyals
18th January 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi

I have a brick veneer house with wooden floor boards.
Some of the cement is falling off my concrete foundations. What mix of cement do I need to render them. I also would like to render around the windows, doors and corners of the house.

Thanks
Steve

ozwinner
18th January 2007, 07:17 PM
There is usually some underlying reason for render to fall off, if you re-do it, it may just fall off again.

Pictures would help.

Al :)

stevenroyals
18th January 2007, 07:43 PM
The house is about 30 years old. I think there may have been some ground movement. Occassionally when it rains a small pool of water gathers against the foundation. I think this may cause the render to lift off. There are patches around the house like this. Most of the render appears to be solid.

Steve

ozwinner
18th January 2007, 07:49 PM
when it rains

Steve

Whats Rain?? :?:U

Ok, it sounds as though there maybe a Damp Proof Course issue there, as in the DPC has failed.

Is there a film of white fluffy substance on the wall (efflorescence)?

stevenroyals
18th January 2007, 07:57 PM
No there is no white stuff. Hardly ever rains here. I just had a nother good look at the render and it looks mostly good apart from a few spots especially on the corners. Being an old housing trust home it's had lots of wear and tear.

Would I need to remove the whole lot or just redo sections? I intend to paint the outside eventually.

Steve

ozwinner
18th January 2007, 08:04 PM
I would only patch the spots that need doing, if the rest is solid Id leave it.

stevenroyals
18th January 2007, 08:07 PM
Ok good. What type of mix should I use? would it be the same mix to render around a window?

Steve

ozwinner
18th January 2007, 08:12 PM
Ok good. What type of mix should I use? would it be the same mix to render around a window?

Steve

Sorry I forgot about this bit.:B

Render with a 3 sand to 1 cement mix using sharp sand, if you use brickies sand it will have too much clay in it, and it will drag as you screed it.

stevenroyals
18th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your help Al

ozwinner
18th January 2007, 08:17 PM
No problem, the invoice is in the mail..

Al :U

schwerdty
27th March 2007, 06:37 PM
Chip out bits that are daggy and paint a bondcrete mix onto exposed brickwork. Buy bagged render and follow my advice posted in render section.
you'll do fine.