PDA

View Full Version : Installing Dishwasher

RenoGirl82
16th January 2007, 07:00 PM
Ok, this kitchen installing is coming to end (pics to follow hopefully very soon) I've just picked up my dishwasher and need a little help with the install. When i had the plumber in he put on the cold water connection pipe for the dishwasher and the sparky put the plug in, so i just have to connect it all up. I have tried connecting the cold water hose to the metal thread but it doesnt fit, is there a part that goes in between that the plumber purposely didnt give me so he can charge me $90 call out to connect it up......

I can take some pics if needed just let me know...

JDarvall
16th January 2007, 07:36 PM
Wasn't the dishwasher in your house when the plumber came ? .... cause thats a big error on his part, I'd say, if it was.

I'd probably be able to help you, but I'd need photos

say, of the tap thread ...uno, so we get an idea of size.....

And a photo of the hose......

See, even from places like mitre 10 you can get adaptors ( or whatever there called)......little brass numbers that change the thread diameters....just a couple of bucks, and a shifter probably all thats needed.

Is the hose too big for the tap fitting ?

yeh, a bit more info, and I might be able to help....'might' :; ....I'm not a plumber, but I've worked with a couple and I do my own plumbing.

Gumby
16th January 2007, 07:51 PM
Ive done a couple and they are pretty straight forward. The water inlet hose on the DW should just screw straight onto a tap type fitting, in a simialr way that a washing machine does. This should have a tap which lets you turn the water on and off to the DW. If it doesn't fit on, then I'd suggest the plumber has the wrong fitting on the end of the pipe. they are all supposed to be a generic fit.

the tricky part is the outlet. When you fit it to the plastic drian pipe via the extended tube, make sure you break the seal inside it first. The DW fitting tube has a plastic seal inside it which stops water coming out in the event that a DW is not fitted. Just stick a screw driver down there and see if it stops.

Stuart
16th January 2007, 07:55 PM
Don't forget including an inline water hammer suppressor on the supply line.

RenoGirl82
16th January 2007, 08:30 PM
Ok, here are the pics, does it look like i am just missing something that screws onto the pipe and to make the inlet hose fit? then i just turn that green handle to let the water thru .And then i need to pierce that lil plastic pipe and shove the drainage tube on
Dont you love my techinal language :roll:

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2007, 08:43 PM
Go to your local plumbing supply and ask them for a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing nipple which will screw straight into the tap (which is a 1/2" ball valve) and allow you to screw the hose on

RenoGirl82
16th January 2007, 09:29 PM
inline water hammer suppressor
Could you please tell me what that is and what it does :B

Stuart
16th January 2007, 09:37 PM
Dishwashers, and washing machines have solenoid valves that stop the flow of water very suddenly. This can send a shock wave up the pipe that can reverberate back and forth (you've heard pipes rattling or knocking before no doubt, when you turn off a tap too fast, or open a tap slowly, and the washer bounces). These shock waves are annoying best, and can build to pipe -breaking force at worst. The shock waves are called a water hammer.

A suppressor can work in a number of different ways - a shock absorber with a spring to absorb the waves, or a chamber that looks like a CO2 cartridge for an air rifle, that allows the wave to dissipate, etc etc.

They are sold in plumbing shops, not sure about Bunnings (no doubt), saw some in Mitre 10 Mega earlier today. One end screws into your pipe where you are fitting your hose, and the hose screws into the other end.

BTW - don't forget to wrap a bit of teflon tape around the threads of all your joints - helps prevent leaks. They are sold in hardware shops for about 50c a roll. You are probably already doing this- from the pics, there appears to be some on the RHS of the ball valve.

Gumby
16th January 2007, 09:37 PM
What DJ said. You need this bit (see pic)

You have 2 female ends and everybody knows you need a male to make anything work :D

RenoGirl82
16th January 2007, 09:44 PM
Ok, so can i pick up one of these suppressors where i get the boys bit from, and how do i fix it?

Thank for your help guys

Stuart
16th January 2007, 09:47 PM
One end screws into your pipe where you are fitting your hose, and the hose screws into the other end. Bunnings / Mitre 10 etc

:D

Stuart
16th January 2007, 09:55 PM
blurry photo of one!

RenoGirl82
16th January 2007, 09:58 PM
i meant the supressor, i figured the reducing nipple just screwed on...:;

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2007, 10:10 PM
a suppressor normally screws in the same way as the nipple would. The only prob is that you might not have enough room to do a full turn because of the pipe behind the tap

Stuart
16th January 2007, 10:24 PM
i meant the supressor, i figured the reducing nipple just screwed on...:;
The suppressor screws on.....see posts 8 and 11 (and the photo in post 12) :o

JDarvall
17th January 2007, 08:17 AM
Hasn't renogirl82 got lovely hands....... well she does. Just a fact.

TassieKiwi
17th January 2007, 10:18 AM
I think that you should use those hands to give the plumber a slap - he would know that the tap needed an adaptor, and should've put one in. :((

JDarvall
17th January 2007, 02:22 PM
I think that you should use those hands to give the plumber a slap -

yeh,,,, but that wouldn't be punishment..... the plumber probably enjoy being slapped by hands as lovely as those. :D :o

RenoGirl82
17th January 2007, 09:04 PM
Hasn't renogirl82 got lovely hands....... well she does. Just a fact.

The rest of me is even better...:p

I reckon the plumber was doing a dodgy for sure. Is $180 a normal amount for a toilet install?

John99
17th January 2007, 10:41 PM
Hi RenoGirl 82
Did you get the dishwasher in after all ???:;

RenoGirl82
17th January 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm in the process of. Am having my own wet t-shirt competition it seems :rolleyes:
Just a quickie, do i need to put teflon tape on the reducing nipple? both ends or just one?

Ausyuppy
17th January 2007, 10:51 PM
Renogirl,
You would only need to put it on the side which is to screw into the ball valve. The rubber O-ring on the dishwasher connection will stop leaks on that side. You will know whether you have used enough thread tape or not, as the fitting will leak. Be pretty liberal with it and you should be right.

I cant believe your plumber would put a valve like that in for the dishwasher. All the installations I have ever seen have a normal garden hose type tap attached to the cupboard.

Cheers
Steve

DJ’s Timber
17th January 2007, 10:52 PM
I'm in the process of. Am having my own wet t-shirt competition it seems :rolleyes:
Just a quickie, do i need to put teflon tape on the reducing nipple? both ends or just one?

You should only need teflon tape on the 1/2" end that screws in the ball valve. The hose from the d/washer has it's own rubber seal. Also it helps to use a wrench or multigrips on the the hose fitting lightly to give get it a bit tighter

RenoGirl82
17th January 2007, 11:04 PM
Yes, seems i am really good at finding the incompetent tradesmen. All good, it has been a good learning experience. I do hope it's almost done, i have a load of dishes ready to go that i dont feel like washing the old fashioned way!:C

savage
17th January 2007, 11:09 PM
I cant believe your plumber would put a valve like that in for the dishwasher. All the installations I have ever seen have a normal garden hose type tap attached to the cupboard.

Cheers
Steve

All of the fittings in my place that require a stopcock, are of the type you see behind the toilet cistern, you know those little micro chrome ones. You have more control of the water in high pressure areas, whereas the ball valve are more designed for on/off applications.

journeyman Mick
17th January 2007, 11:53 PM
All of the fittings in my place that require a stopcock, are of the type you see behind the toilet cistern, you know those little micro chrome ones...............

"cistern cock"

Mick

JDarvall
18th January 2007, 12:08 AM
The rest of me is even better...:p

:o really ! ..... :B

what be handy is a brother or a cousin whose a plumber. I can sympathise with your problem. For me its mechanics.....I don't know much about cars, apart from the obvious.....makes me feel I can easily be ripped off.

The best chance of finding a good a tradesman I've found, especially if your in a small town....is just to ask around plenty for a good plumber (or whatever)....not once or twice....maybe a dozern times......when you start hearing the same name a few times then thats the bloke to go for......best chance of getting a good one.....

cause, uno, people always recommend their mates or family regardless as to how good they are. Gota get past that.

Goodluck.

savage
18th January 2007, 08:06 PM
"cistern cock"

Mick

Yeah! Thats the fella!....:doh:

toddles
21st January 2007, 11:33 AM
the tricky part is the outlet. When you fit it to the plastic drian pipe via the extended tube, make sure you break the seal inside it first. The DW fitting tube has a plastic seal inside it which stops water coming out in the event that a DW is not fitted. Just stick a screw driver down there and see if it stops.

Don't forget this!

The plumber won't have done it for you and it's a disaster if you forget. A rellie whose a plumber and who I helped install our dishwasher heats up the end of a short length of copper pipe and pushes it through. Believes it's less mistake prone than drilling. He also has lots of story's of people and plumbers who forget to puncture it.
That plumber of yours was a real wig banker with that tap.

RenoGirl82
22nd January 2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you everyone for your help, i have installed the dishwasher and knew about puncturing that pipe. Now back to the rest of the kitchen :~