PDA

View Full Version : Matching Old Benchtop Laminate

davo100
11th January 2007, 09:55 PM
I am trying to fill a rectangular hole in a kitchen benchtop (about 250 x 500mm) and was wondering if anyone knows where I could go to match my old laminate its about 5 years old. I have looked at the leading manufacturers current colour charts but nothing is close. I have already cut and fitted a piece of particle board.

I know its a long shot but this bench top/kitchen isnt worth spending money to replace the laminate or the whole top. Should I try sending a sample of my laminate to some manufacturers to see if they can match it?

Hope someone can help.
Cheers
Davo (Sydney)

echnidna
11th January 2007, 10:23 PM
Is it possible to cut a rebate in the top and fit a cutting board.

makka619
11th January 2007, 10:38 PM
^^ That's an awesome idea.

What was in the hole?

Maybe you could think of something else that it could be used for, like the chopping board idea.

joe greiner
12th January 2007, 12:21 AM
Even if you could match the material, the joins would still be quite noticeable. In circumstances like this, it's often better to aim for contrast, and call it a "design feature."

Joe

makka619
12th January 2007, 01:03 AM
Even if you could match the material, the joins would still be quite noticeable. In circumstances like this, it's often better to aim for contrast, and call it a "design feature."

Joe

I was thinking this. I just had a new corner unit installed. The bench-top isn't one continuous piece. It joins at the corner and you can see the line.

We got a big gap in it, to put a mini oven/cooktop (in one) and the top is level with the benchtop. So I imagine yours would be like this.

Do you have any pics... we might be able to think of how you could make a nice feature. What would fit. :)

You can get nice glass chopping boards. I think you would be able to get them done in different colours which would look really nice, if you get a colour to compliment or blend with the bench top.

Though, I am not sure, I think glass cutting boards damage knives quicker. Might not be a problem if you sharpen your knife regularly though.

Master Splinter
12th January 2007, 03:36 PM
Rebate the new surface down by about 10mm and fit a piece of 13mm granite in there as a 'pastry rolling board' or hot object holder. (You may need to make the cutout wider to make it look better.)

Unless your laminex is one of the 'classic' colours, you are unlikely to find it outside of piles hidden away at second hand building supply places.

Even if your laminex was still in stock, you'd probably have to buy a whole sheet...and that might be enough to re-do your entire bench

davo100
12th January 2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for these great suggestions. I was hoping I could match the laminate but it sounds like it would be near impossible to find it and not too attractive.

I am considering inserting the cutting board or the granite piece. I replaced a longer gas cooktop with a new shorter one so thats why I have the whole there on the right side of the cooktop.
Since the hole is immediately to the right of my gas cooktop I thought a chopping board may look a bit odd there (unless anyone thinks otherwise), and so the granite piece just as a hot plate/pot holder may be the way to go. I'll have a think about.

Master Splinter - where can I get a 250mm x 500mm piece of granite cut to the size I need?

Thanks - it was really worth joining this forum everyone has been very helpfull.

pawnhead
13th January 2007, 03:28 PM
You could always just reinforce the hole and glue a piece of stainless steel (http://www.smorgonsteel.com.au/sheetmetalsupplies/products/category.cfm?GroupID=5&ProductLineID=8) over it. If your cooktop is stainless then it will match, and it's probably no dearer than getting a piece of granite cut.

journeyman Mick
13th January 2007, 05:24 PM
You could always just reinforce the hole and glue a piece of stainless steel (http://www.smorgonsteel.com.au/sheetmetalsupplies/products/category.cfm?GroupID=5&ProductLineID=8) over it. If your cooktop is stainless then it will match, and it's probably no dearer than getting a piece of granite cut.

If the prices that I'm paying stonemasons VS what I'm paying a sheetmetal shop are anything to go by SS would be considerably less.

Mick

celeste
13th January 2007, 07:54 PM
Hi all

A Ladies point of view - centre the hotplate and place contrast laminate / stone / glass / stainless steel either side - will look like it belongs there.

Oh stainless steel - in my kitchen photos - the splash back cost me
$ 249.00 S/S supplied and cit to size.

Celeste

China
13th January 2007, 09:54 PM
Go with celeste very similar to what I was going to suggest BTW laminate that is 5 years nowadays is cosidered to be well and truly obselete