PDA

View Full Version : Tiling Overhead

rod1949
8th January 2007, 09:34 AM
I will be doing some overhead tiling (underside top of window reveals). The tiles will be 200x30mm strips. In order not to have to put in tempory supports whislt the cemetious based adhesive goes off, I'm considering using something like Liquid Nails quick grab building adhesive. Any suggestions?

echnidna
8th January 2007, 10:34 AM
I've used ordinary liquid nails for that job succesfully but I have propped the tiles till the glue set. I've got one to do now and I'll still prop the tiles.

China
8th January 2007, 11:14 PM
Even using the quick grab you will need to prop the tiles, might as well use the propper adhesive

sol381
9th January 2007, 06:41 AM
JUst did a tiling job that required tiling around windows. Tiles were about 90mm wide by 300mm. just put tile adhehise on the back of the tile and stick it up ,it will stay. What we did for extra suppurt was cut a bit of pine framing theh width of the window less abotu 20mm and propped it in the middle with another pine stick.
Diddnt really need it but was just added securioty. The glue will hold it by itself.

rod1949
10th January 2007, 01:15 PM
JUst did a tiling job that required tiling around windows. Tiles were about 90mm wide by 300mm. just put tile adhehise on the back of the tile and stick it up ,it will stay. What we did for extra suppurt was cut a bit of pine framing theh width of the window less abotu 20mm and propped it in the middle with another pine stick.
Diddnt really need it but was just added securioty. The glue will hold it by itself.

sol381,
What adhesive did you use?

rod1949
11th January 2007, 04:58 PM
I've been doing a bit more enquiries since I first posted this. The mob where I'm getting the grout from endorsed the Liquid Nails. I did a search on the Sika website with no real satisfaction, so then looked in Selleys they have the liquid nails fast grab, polystyrene compadiable, I emailed them (got a reply within the hour, which amazed me) with the reply being to use Selleys Roof and Gutter silicon. They said that Liquid nails fast is effective however the edge was towards Selleys Rood & Gutter for the following reasons:
1) Being a silicone, it is more flexible, therefore shock resistant.
2) It has a higher bond strength.
3) It is waterproof & moisture does not break it down.

pawnhead
12th January 2007, 01:41 AM
Normal liquid nails should work as well if you use the 'contact' method. With the glue applied, push the tile in place then remove it, making sure that there's a coating on the tile and the surface of the reveal. Wait for 5>10 minutes for it to dry a bit then push it into place and it should stay there.

sol381
12th January 2007, 07:06 AM
Just standard tile adhesive i used.. About $10 a bag from bunnings.UNless your sticking up full tiles the suction from the adhesive will easily hold the tiles upside down.