PDA

View Full Version : Removing Brick Cladding

nsr
4th January 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi

I have recently bought am old single fronted weatherboard in Footscray. At some stage the owners have thought it a great idea to cover up the weatherboards with Brick Cladding - research has told me that this possible is asbestos.

I would like to remove it - has anyone done this or can recommend a tradie for the job? Any idea of cost involved?

Thanks

Christopha
4th January 2007, 04:57 PM
ASBESTOS!!! sell the house for $4.00 it is now worth.... Seriously. it IS asbestos and you will need a qualified person to do the removal/disposal, let your fingers do the walking my friend!

Pulse
4th January 2007, 05:13 PM
were the windows replaced? somtimes this makes it hard when you remove the cladding. Bagging also looks good for these.

Cheers
pulse

Cobber
5th January 2007, 10:16 AM
I got mine done in Brunswick...house was covered in it. I used Reads Waste to do it which was a reasonable price. My weatherboards were in good condition underneath mostly.

Cobber

SilentButDeadly
5th January 2007, 12:00 PM
Yep. We've one of these too. Better still the original fibro lies underneath the cladding. Two layers of asbestos laden fibro. Fortunately, it is perfectly legal in this country for an unqualified person to remove and dispose of asbestos waste in accordance with safe practise - which is mostly about common sense rather than the result rabid fear mongering. A quick google will turn up the rules etc. Disposal costs for asbestos at my local licenced dump is about $70 a tonne.

The big drama is that for a tradie to do the job.....well they drown in legislation, licencing, transport and disposal rules and costs.......all of which are passed on to you. So it'll potentially be on the ridiculous side of expensive.

Don't even think about bagging it cause it was probably only attached to the house with brads so the whole lot could come cascading off in the years to come. Besides the stuff moves like a ship at sea so the finish will crack anyway....

Council approval is also required to be rid of it (change the look of the house) too by the by......added complication?

But overall, this is an easy job that is not out of the realm of impossible by the average Joe and Josephine.

Ours will be totally de-clad later this year and reclad in the trend cladding of the moment, corrugated iron.