PDA

View Full Version : Tiles in laundry

drummelars
27th December 2006, 09:14 PM
hi guys,

well i finished the tiling in the laundry about 3 months ago and didnt lay any tiles up the wall and i used skirting boards in the ldy. (not a good idea MDF also). ok so i pulled the skirting out and want to lay 20x20 tiles same as the floor as i have spares, is it ok to put 1 tile around the wall at the bottom ????

The floor has already been laid the 1 row of wall tiles will have to sit on top of the floor tiles as the sides on the floor are flush with the gyprock and wont allow me to slide the bottom row of wall tiles down the ground as the fllors are flush.

Shoul;d this still be ok if i clear silicon the floor at the base of the 1 row of wall tiles where they make contact with the fllor tiles????

thanks in advance

jason

drummelars
27th December 2006, 09:19 PM
Aso another question

1. what is the best prep of the walls as I have freshly painted them about 2 months ago when i laid the skirting???

Will i need to sand the area where the 1 row of wall tiles will go so the adhesive has some bite???

Or would it be good to also lay a coat of bond crete to the wall surface before laying the wall tiles to give further bite for the adhesive ETC

tameriska
27th December 2006, 09:49 PM
You can get some coloured silicon grout at the tile shop to match in with our tiles / grout to seal the two tiled surfaces.
its fine to have one row of tiles around the walls and to have them above the floor tiles.
Not sure what to do about the painted gyprock, someone else should be able to answer that one.

reybec
27th December 2006, 10:40 PM
as far as i know you need sand the paint back enough to have about 80% of the substrate exposed.

mic-d
28th December 2006, 08:59 AM
Just stick the tiles directly to the wall, no prep needed. I wouldn't tell you that if it was a whole wall but just a single row is OK. You always sit the wall on to of the floor tiles too and translucent silicon will give a good colour match if you can't find a tinted silicone.

Cheers
Michael

drummelars
29th December 2006, 08:36 AM
sweet thankd all

Pulse
29th December 2006, 11:55 AM
To get the row of skirting tiles level I cut 3mm mdf into small squares and split the layers of the mdf with a stanley knife. The resultant packers (1-2mm thick) are all different thinknesses and allow you to get the top edge of the tiles level, since the cuts will probably not all be perfect.

Cheers
Pulse