PDA

View Full Version : Buying a computer monitor

Wolfs
18th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Any advice on buying a computer monitor would be appreciated. Brands, response times and resolution etc Thanks

SPIRIT
18th December 2006, 01:22 PM
don't know com stuff (yorn)my bother inlaw it man said ok BENQ senseye fp71g+s for the money it's good

Stuart
18th December 2006, 02:28 PM
Just got an Apple 23". If you have the cash, it is a beautiful thing.

If not, then my contribution to the advice is:

CHECK THE DEAD PIXEL POLICY (yes, I'm deliberately being loud)
A number of companies allow 3 (or even more) pixels to be dead and it not to be a warranty item, even a brand-new monitor. (I'm looking at you Phillips) Other companies have a zero-tolerance for dead pixels, so buy one of theirs. Generally, the cost is no different, and the last thing you want is a black dot(s) right in the middle of the screen.

snowyskiesau
18th December 2006, 02:33 PM
I've been using a Dell 24" monitor for about 12 months and highly recommend it.
If you're after something a bit cheaper, then the Benq range are good value.

Zed
18th December 2006, 02:35 PM
I recommend Diamond view. I would not have a LCD screen due to pixel policy limitations and other things *such as if you get a TV card a tube looks far better*

cheers

Gumby
18th December 2006, 02:36 PM
Why go overboard ?

If it's just for home use, a 17" or 19" LCD from the local Computer store is fine. Start around $250 - $300 I think.

SPIRIT
18th December 2006, 02:41 PM
you guys have to much money

bennylaird
18th December 2006, 02:45 PM
Wait for the next hard waste collection and pick up a few, discard any that don't work at the next hard waste collection, simple?

Gra
18th December 2006, 02:46 PM
Can beat two 17's. Nothing beats more real estate......:D:D:D

Then again, I am not paying for them...

Flowboy
18th December 2006, 03:46 PM
Large diameter crystal ball?? (wireless of course):D

SPIRIT
18th December 2006, 04:40 PM
you can buy anything for more just in case the cheaper may oneday mitght play up but tec is so fast now days it's old out of the box
how come crystal balls it's always tall dark and hansone

not short pale and ugly guy

Iain
18th December 2006, 07:45 PM
I just got a 17" LCD, if you want a free CRT in good condition PM me.

Ashore
18th December 2006, 08:08 PM
Wolfs I don't know where you are at but whatever you decide on get to a computer fair and buy it there , brand new just the same as an over priced shop, got a 19" samsung lcd from shmbo last christmas, cost $350 then , never had a moments trouble:cool:

SPIRIT
18th December 2006, 08:11 PM
see that seems fair

Master Splinter
18th December 2006, 08:37 PM
1) Find a monitor size you like on the Dell website. (I am never using anything smaller than my 24" widescreen again).

2) Google for "dell coupon codes" (region select Australia) to find some discounts.

3) Buy.

(why a Dell monitor? Zero dead pixels, price is pretty good without running around computer stores/computer fairs, and they seem to review well in the gamer/enthusiast mags)

However, LCD monitor resolution is unforgiving - running them at resolutions other than their native resolution can look pretty bad. If you like to surf at 800x600 you may be better off with a secondhand CRT.

Schtoo
19th December 2006, 02:22 AM
Using a 17" Sony TFT thing for about 3 years.

No problems, complaints or other untoward things.

And it was cheap enough, at the time. The same price as a no-name monitor in the same size and type.

Plus it was white, which matches the rest of the thing. :)

Harry72
19th December 2006, 02:43 AM
Yep go a DELL 24"... but dont if your a person who plays games unless you get a GPU(graphic's card)to match it!
I brought a DELL system and got the 24 as an upgrade, I also upgraded the GPU to the best they had at that time... it's going to cost me $1000~1500 to get a GPU that can use this monitor to its full potential in games!(2x 512mb in SLI and a new power supply)
Fine for normal duties tho, excellent for photographers and watching movies... makes a HD plasma look pixelated!

BTW, it takes a bit of getting used too a screen with 1920X1200 pixels my IE/firefox text size is near max!