PDA

View Full Version : Best Brand Paint for Indoor Walls

Damon_11
18th December 2006, 01:00 AM
Howdy Chaps.

This one sure to get some fired up responses (I hope). Just coming to a close on internal renos with kitchens, bathrooms, painting next.

3 years ago when we first moved in to our 4x2 Brick and Tile house (80's) in good nic, we went nuts and painted the lot with Solver maxi wash paints. Finding that it marks very easily, though other properties of the paint were sound, easy to clean up, never flaked, held colour well, arracted plenty of cobwebs :D - normal stuff.

Now faced with repainting main living areas in a new colour scheme to match the wife's decree, what brands of paint will give the best price v performance value.

Last time I had a pal in the building game get me 55% off as trade price at Solver, are there any similar deals available for the other brands....

Regards to all...DC :)

Damon_11
20th December 2006, 12:45 AM
Does anyone care?? :(

Dean
20th December 2006, 07:43 AM
Dunno about price vs performance but we used Dulux when we re-did our dining room about 2 years ago and have been very happy with the finish and how it has stood up to "abuse".

One of the more expensive brands though if i remember correctly.

johnc
20th December 2006, 07:50 AM
We also use Dulux, the discount although nice if you can get it is small change if you end up having to re-paint in a few years anyway. I think it's 101 on the walls (water based) and oil paint on the trims.

John

jmk89
20th December 2006, 08:36 AM
Wattyl IQ was the last I used and I am happy with it to use and SWMBO was happy with the result.
Just use anything with lots of pigment in it (easy to test - lift a big tin of it - if it is heavier than another tin of same volume, it's got more pigment). The pigment is what gives depth of colour, and lasting quality. Also means that you won't need a primer to go over earlier paint jobs (so long as they are lightish). The solvent is just there to allow you to get the pigment out of the tin and onto the wall!!

Stu
20th December 2006, 05:13 PM
Another vote for dulux, may cost a little more but as far as I am concerned the coverage and lasting qualities of the paint make it good value.

cheers Stu

echnidna
20th December 2006, 06:16 PM
The choice website has some interesting comparisons on a few paints.

Sorry I don't have the webpage address. Try a google search

Damon_11
20th December 2006, 10:34 PM
(easy to test - lift a big tin of it - if it is heavier than another tin of same volume, it's got more pigment).

Yes thanks, well that might explain why the Solver brand is not as good as the cans are light in weight and fairly thin to apply compared to others that I have used.

Cheers Fellows...DC

echnidna
21st December 2006, 11:48 AM
The choice test results regarded the "Performer" brand from K Mart quite well.

Looked at a can of Performer today - it was shipped to KMart from Dulux.
So that might be why it is a good paint, its rebadged Dulux.

workgoose
21st December 2006, 09:39 PM
I fell for that "rebadged" stuff once, I suspect that apart from the badge they also add a bit more water. It didn't cover well and needed 3 coats as against the real stuff which did it in 2. I would recommend that you steer clear of cheap brands, except perhaps to freshen up a property you are going sell anyway.