PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tile Adhesive

RenoGirl82
16th December 2006, 04:46 PM
When ripping of the wall tiles around my sink the adhesive hasnt come off with it and is stuck quite firmly to the wall. Are there any quick ways to get this off? I was thinking of chiselling it off but if there is an easier way im very open to it....

Thanx:)

celeste
16th December 2006, 07:03 PM
Hi renogirl

Do you mean the stuff that looks like cement or glue like stuff?

For the cement type -

Go to bunning a buy a GMC rotary drill, excellant they are on special here for $69.00 I just used one they are so good on the kitchen wall tiles - get a bit of a sore arm tho.:D

Celeste

China
16th December 2006, 07:44 PM
Chiselling would be ok if the wall is solid brick, if plasterboard you might tear it up if it is plasterboard use a angle grinder with a heavy duty paint strpping disc

RenoGirl82
16th December 2006, 08:05 PM
Sorry, i was a bit vague in my previous post...
The adhesive is like cement and on plasterboard, the rest of the tiles i ripped off, the adhesive stuck to the tile and peeled the first paper layer of the plasterboard off, but just around the sink and also the skirtings in the bathroom and laundry it has left it behind. The area is going to be retiled anyway, so i'm not worried about it looking pretty but dont want to spend my whole weekend chiselling adhesive off my wall:(

China
16th December 2006, 08:12 PM
RenoGirl, the best one woul be the paint stripping disc on the angle grinder I used to use this method all the time when installing kitchens and the client did not want the expense of replcing the plasterboard, but take it easy as it will rip it off fairly fast

RenoGirl82
17th December 2006, 10:49 AM
Thanx China, will give it a go this arvo