PDA

View Full Version : Silconing tile edges.

makka619
4th December 2006, 06:35 PM
Any tips for how I can silicone the corners of the tiling job. The tiler didn't do it.

It is so hard. I have an applier gun. I have tried tape, but it is a horrible mess.

Pulse
4th December 2006, 07:23 PM
Use masking tape, apply a neat, small bead with a good quality gun. Smooth with either a finger dipped in turps or detergent solution. Then immediately remove the tape. I have a roll of loo paper nearby to wipe up excess.

Good luck
Pulse

Jack E
4th December 2006, 08:11 PM
Run the silicone where you want the bead, spray the silicone and surrounding area with a detergent/water mix, wipe off the excess silicone with a paddle pop stick.

The stick gives a good looking bead and the detergent prevents the silicone sticking apart from where it initially comes into contact with the tiles.

No need for tape.

All the tilers and plumbers I have seen in action do it this way.

Cheers, Jack

makka619
6th December 2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys. I can't using masking tape, because when I pull it off it just messes the whole thing up.

Jack E, I will gave the spray a go.

dalejw
7th December 2006, 09:22 AM
I've don e a few of these an made a mess of a lot of the time until I found an applicator and some smoothing compound made by this mob.

http://www.robertsdesigns.com.au/silicones/silicone-accessories.html

Works like a charm. The applicator is just a cureved piece of silicone rubber that gives you a nice even curve. The handling fluid stops the silicone sticking to everything.

All the gear is available from bunnings.

An application guide is available here.

http://www.robertsdesigns.com.au/howto/easytoapply.html

I also find the selleys lightspeed frameless caulking gun to be about the best I've used. Non drip, well geared for good control and about $15 from bunnings. Interesting design as it holds the tube at the back rather than having the frame around the front.

Bob38S
7th December 2006, 10:13 AM
Have had pretty good success using tape to define the edges - Do use detergent and Don't use a finger to spread - wherever the fingers have been used it appears to promote the growth of mould.

My spreader is in fact a piece of 1/2" black poly drip irrigation pipe. It has a "built in curve" from being rolled up and forms a consistent shape when pushed into the angle defined by the tape. As it is reasonably rigid you don't get a wavy finger line + no messy fingers + no mould - when the tape is removed, a light pass [if necessary] with the piece of pipe ensures a neat sealed edge.

Works for me, hope it does for you.
Regards,
Bob