PDA

View Full Version : laminate and cupboards

celeste
3rd December 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi all

I just need some refresher info, some new info and clarification on info I think I know.

Back ground I reno Props and on sell (started May 06)

The reno I am doing at the moment is a 1 bed apartment - the kitchen had been reno'ed already (if you call it that - totally disgusting back yard job)
Anyway the cacusses (spelling?) are O.K so I will reuse them, I am having new doors and some end panels made.

Now questions & / or problems

1. I would like to re-use some of hinges - I need to drill the hinge recesses in the doors - Is there a special drill / or router bit for this?

2. I need to buy some new hinges, I need the ones, so that the cupboard door is the exact size of the carcus - what do I ask for?

3. I have a couple of ends that I am gluing on the new colour over the old - some of it has swollen at the bottoms etc - Do I pull off the old (cheap) white laminate face 1st or just sand and seal the raised bits?

I think that is all for now any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Celeste

joseph84
7th December 2006, 10:27 PM
Celeste,
with question number 2 ask for full overlay hinges.
question 1 - You need a 35mm hinge boring bit, they are all pretty much the same standard size.

and number 3: belt sand the old laminate before applying the new though if you can take the old one off you will probably do a better job but this requires a lot of thinners and scrapping ;)

Hope it helps

Joseph

totoblue
12th December 2006, 11:33 AM
1. I would like to re-use some of hinges - I need to drill the hinge recesses in the doors - Is there a special drill / or router bit for this?

See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=403339&postcount=30
and
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=412982&postcount=31
and the rest of that thread.

You might consider getting the door manufacturer to drill the hinge holes, although there might be an issue with alignment of hinge holes in doors and in carcases.

If you do the hinge holes yourself, I'd cut a bit of scrap chipboard or MDF to the same size as the doors and practice on that first.

celeste
12th December 2006, 10:11 PM
Hi all

Thanks joseph & totoblue

I have successfully applied new laminate - looking good. ( any way it looks successful so far)

totablue

B4 posting this thread I did look at the threads you mentioned - only problem is by the time I get the 5yr old to bed, I cannot get my head around the instructions for the jigs - I am not up on all the correct terms for things - photos would be better for me.

Any way, problemed solvered - I rang a friend who was a cabinet maker ( suppose still is just not doing it)
he is coming over to do it for me and show me how.

thanks again

Celeste