PDA

View Full Version : Tiling prices

Vasiliki
16th November 2006, 11:58 PM
Please help as I think I am getting rorted.

How much should I pay per square metre to get a 60m2 area screeted and then to get tiles laid.

I was quoted $15 for the screeting and $35 for the tiling which I have since been told is the top price (is this correct?). Also he is now trying to charge me $370 odd dollars for 11 bags of glue that he used. Surely that should be included in the quoted price of $35 per square.

boban
17th November 2006, 12:29 AM
Brother in Law is a tiler.

The glue is supplied by the builder for him. He's getting about the same rates for tiling depending on the type of tiles. More for some.

Prices should be negotiated before he starts, not after. For a small one off job, I dont think you did too badly.

mic-d
17th November 2006, 07:13 AM
The price is good, especially for a small job. If there were lots of cuts you did even better. As Boban said it is up to you to know beforehand what the price includes.

Geeze these sort of posts naff me. I'm sure there are some unscrupulous tradies out there but the vast majority are honest. People have to remember that what they pay is the gross amount. The tradie has to pay the GST, his income tax, set aside super and other overheads like vehicle and tool maintenance, before there is a slice for him.

Now I am sorry it was your post that received this gush of wind:) Just remember that you will see the tiles long after you forget the price, so be happy if it's a quality job.

Cheers

Michael

Terry1
17th November 2006, 07:28 AM
Hello Vasilike,Tilers in this area (Riverina area of NSW)are on around $35 per sq mtr labour only.But they have a range of extras that they charge for slow going (diamond pattern,borders etc)How come the tiler had to screed the full 60mtrs,was it all wet area?(seems big)You don't screed over flat concrete floors these days as they have a range of rubber based ahesives for that purpose and you direct stick after applying bond crete to the surface.In wet areas screeding is part of the price but the tiler wouldn't like to be screeding big floor areas to level it out when he would normally be just sticking the tiles down and that is their "cream"really.You should really be asking him I suppose as we are in different areas and I cant see the job either.It does seem reasonable to me though but I am a tradesman and might be biased a little.Regards Terry

Bleedin Thumb
17th November 2006, 09:49 AM
Yeh I agree with all the above sound like a reasonable price to me.

dalejw
24th November 2006, 12:53 AM
Sounds reasonable to me. A lot of blokes are getting $40 - $50 sqm over here in WA. That's without the adhesive.

Sort these things out before the job starts. I'd be pretty if someone whinged at me about the cost of the adhesive if I'd given them a price of $35 a sqm.

dan76n
24th November 2006, 07:54 PM
I thinks its pretty sneeky for him to add glue if he didnt tell you that it wasnt included in the price.
Regardless of whether its a good job or not tradies should be letting you know the full price upfront. If you purchased a TV for $3000 and got it home and the instructions said you need a $370 part to use it you wouldnt be happy and I dare say fair trading wouldnt be either.
I have learnt over Time to ask all tradesmen "What isnt included in the price" and "is there anything else I need to do to the job once they are finished"
I have found a few tradesmen who do things like this to get the job then hit you with the extras which puts them on par if not dearer than the other quotes I have had.