PDA

View Full Version : Aaaargh new benchtop laminate

WazOz
15th November 2006, 08:19 PM
:confused: Jof of Joys, wife boiled some eggs:rolleyes:, let the pan run out of H2O, son to the rescue, grabs the smouldering pot on puts safely out of harms way, right onto the laminated kitchen benchtop, what a lovely black circle we now have:eek:, have looked at doing it all over the top, (large area) for special effect, but alas that wouldn't do, so we now need to redo, or should I say, I need to re-laminate the whole kitchen, colours are out dated, so a complete resto is called for, any advice on how hard this is to do for an average DIYeselfer?, is it tooooooo hard:mad:, hope not, want the top to look good so house retains value, if not increase it's value with new benchop, plus splashback, and the splashback also has a laminate (.
Hope someone can come up with some advice and tips.
Cheers
Waz

renomart
15th November 2006, 09:17 PM
Are you bench top edges rounded? - If so, then too hard!

Are they square? - If so, then too easy!

WazOz
15th November 2006, 09:34 PM
The edges are squared off, easy, sounds good to me, will do the research on the how to's removing old laminate etc and applying new stuff, thanks for the response

renomart
15th November 2006, 09:50 PM
Make sure you start laminating the edges first, then the top.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=34481&stc=1&d=1163587769

WazOz
16th November 2006, 02:27 AM
Thanks again RM, will follow your suggestion

LegacyGT
16th November 2006, 03:05 AM
wat about laminate paint?

arms
16th November 2006, 08:36 AM
what i have done and suggest to my clients that have had this happen to is to buy a glass insert called a surface saver ,this is cut into the benchtop like a sink ,because it is made from tempered glass you can put hot pots on it also use it for a cutting board ,i recommend this for renters as they are improving their landlords property in value ,while covering up their problem

pharmaboy2
16th November 2006, 09:37 AM
:confused: Jof of Joys, wife boiled some eggs:rolleyes:, let the pan run out of H2O, son to the rescue, grabs the smouldering pot on puts safely out of harms way, right onto the laminated kitchen benchtop, what a lovely black circle we now have:eek:, have looked at doing it all over the top, (large area) for special effect, but alas that wouldn't do, so we now need to redo, or should I say, I need to re-laminate the whole kitchen, colours are out dated, so a complete resto is called for, any advice on how hard this is to do for an average DIYeselfer?, is it tooooooo hard:mad:, hope not, want the top to look good so house retains value, if not increase it's value with new benchop, plus splashback, and the splashback also has a laminate (.
Hope someone can come up with some advice and tips.
Cheers
Waz

dumb question. Do your house insurance have accidental damage cover?

Then it would be someone elses problem I suppose. - dont know how easy it is to do (renomart?) but the aluminium edge with laminate top surface looks the bees knees - sooooo much better than normal laminate, I'm surprised not everyones doing it - cost?, difficulty? old fashioned ways? ;)

Damon_11
17th November 2006, 01:41 AM
Hello Waz,

Question of economics here - if not covered under insurance, you could re laminate or just get a whole new preformed bench cut to size. Have a look at Classicform Doors in Malaga, WA http://www.classicformdoors.com.au/index.htm

Their Egger range is imported pre formed in 600w single edge square formed and 800w double edge square formed and goes for about $60 a metre in lots of colours. If your bench layout is not complex, might be worth investigating.

By the time you but the laminate, hire / buy the tolls and DIY, you might find this a better option.

Cheers...Damo

chrise
17th November 2006, 09:05 PM
dumb question. Do your house insurance have accidental damage cover?

Then it would be someone elses problem I suppose. - dont know how easy it is to do (renomart?) but the aluminium edge with laminate top surface looks the bees knees - sooooo much better than normal laminate, I'm surprised not everyones doing it - cost?, difficulty? old fashioned ways? ;)

Do you have any pics of laminate with aluminium edge that you have done as I would like to see what it looks like as I will be doing my kitchen early in the new year and am looking for diff ideas to present to the minister for war and finances

Thanks

Chris

renomart
17th November 2006, 09:14 PM
Parbury sells aluminium benchtop profiles, including internal/external corners. They are available in 3 metre lengths. Check it out (http://www.parbury.com.au/aluminium_doors/aluminium_bent_edging.asp).

chrise
17th November 2006, 09:16 PM
Parbury sells aluminium benchtop profiles, including internal/external corners. They are available in 3 metre lengths. Check it out (http://www.parbury.com.au/aluminium_doors/aluminium_bent_edging.asp).

Thanks looks good

WazOz
18th November 2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone for input and support, unfortunately R.A. ahem, says it is not covered, small clause written into contract, more what is covered than what isn't, reading the contract, sure works in favour of the insurer, never mind, will read the fine print when we change over. The burn is right on the edge so cutting an insert won't work, good idea though. Only option now is to relaminate, another job on the To DO list:( around the home. I live in Mandurah WA, so Malaga isn't too far away, will check them out, once again thanks.
Cheers
Waz