PDA

View Full Version : Kick boards

Bleedin Thumb
15th November 2006, 01:54 PM
I need to replace my kickboards in the new kitchen, I didn't like the effect of the brushed aluminium, tried to piant over them, looked like POS so I used them as form boards on a concrete job:D
I dont want to give the original supplier any more of my business.:mad:

Anyhow I want gloss black so I guess laminex is the go....so who is the cheapest supplier.

Also I will have to rip some down.... long story..... so what is the best way to cut it on a TS without tearing out the laminex covering?

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2006, 02:49 PM
Always cut from the back, so that the blade is rotating into the good side and not out of it chipping the laminate

arms
15th November 2006, 03:36 PM
chipping the laminex

its actually laminate ,laminex is the company ,formica is the company ,laminate is the product !

Bleedin Thumb
15th November 2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks DJ just as I guessed plus set the sawblade height so it just goes through same as any ply.

Arms.....I'm sooooooooo sorry, wrist duly slapped.

Still who is the cheapest supplier?

Arms I just noticed your location Ipswich - God's backyard!!! isn't that Wacol or Inala or even Darra ?

DJ’s Timber
15th November 2006, 04:14 PM
Actually I prefer to have the blade sitting fairly high. The teeth come down at a cleaner cutting angle than if it was set low.

I find that having the blade low, the board sometimes rides up the blade.

Sybarite
15th November 2006, 04:15 PM
For Gloss Black Laminate I get pretty good prices from Halifax.

www.halifaxvogel.com.au (http://www.halifaxvogel.com.au)

Unfortunately I can't find a gloss black colour board, so you'll need to get your hands on a full sheet and laminate it yourself.

Alternatively, you could see if you can get a better price from a cabinetmaker (or doormaker or postformer) to just supply the cut to (approximate) size kicks and then scribe them down with a planer.

Depends how much you need really...

Cheers,

renomart
15th November 2006, 09:15 PM
Benchtop manufacturers always have leftovers coming out of their (_*_)

Try them first as it will be more economical than buying a 1/2 sheet.

Bleedin Thumb
16th November 2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks Guys,

Time to let the fingers do the walking.

arms
16th November 2006, 08:42 AM
Arms I just noticed your location Ipswich - God's backyard!!! isn't that Wacol or Inala or even Darra ?[/quote]

no they are our neighbours ,you know, the ones that you build the six foot fence between

Bleedin Thumb
16th November 2006, 10:33 AM
Yes know what you mean. Lived at Wacol Army villiage as a kid, went to Darra Primary school right under the cement works stack. Then moved to Wynnum North under the oil refinery and if the breeze came from the West you got the sweet aroma of Doboy Creek abattoir. Don't you just love Brissy.

Eddie Jones
16th November 2006, 05:49 PM
Why not just black painted timber?

Not being silly, but why does it have to be laminex (laminate - lamineaux)?

Bleedin Thumb
16th November 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Eddy, I tried that with the original ones. Etch primed the aluminium then painted with gloss acrylic. The paint wrinkled. so I went and bought an off cut of HMR chipboard but the texture is too course to get a full gloss effect and the surface has to take a real beating from broom heads & kids toys,

I just assumed that the way to go was laminate. I am open to other ideas as long as they are economical.

I guess TP dressed and painted with an epoxy paint would work anyone done this??
TP may be a bit soft might have to go HW?
Any experiences good or bad about manufacturing your own kickboards let us know.:)

Damon_11
17th November 2006, 01:26 AM
Hi Bleedin,

Call Laminex Direct on 132136. They do a Black in Laminex Commercial, Compact Laminate and Colourtech Doors which is the satin or gloss sprayed doors.

Also look into the Formica range (also from Laminex - same number) as they have many more variations.

You can order these from the laminex doors factory and have them laminate and cut a whole sheet for you to 2400mm x 150mm or whatever your dimensions. freight cheap too....give them a call...

This is what I did with my whole kitchen and kick plates the same Fossil colour as my Fossil Contour Doors. Cost me about $100 for my whole kitchen as part of my order.

Cheers...Damo

Bleedin Thumb
17th November 2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Damo, will do.