PDA

View Full Version : Decking - costs and fininshes

duboz76
15th November 2006, 12:14 PM
Hi All,
I've tried looking through here so no one has to answer the same old questions, but couldn't see anything so here goes:
1. Building my 2nd deck. First one was out of kapur and looked quite good, but it's an indo product and would prefer oz, however I'm a bit stretched for cash and the best value decking wood I can find is $3.50/l-m and that's Kapur. Also, the best value (in Perth - including Colli, Gunns, Recycled Timber Co etc) is at Bunnings and again I'd prefer to spend money elsewhere. I had a look at Auctions but the most of the wood was warped or bad condition so I don't want to risk that. Am I kidding myself that i'll get it for less than $3/m anywhere?

2. On my first deck, I used a product called Organoil - natural product (that gave off an amazing stench!) but really didn't give me the finish I was after - can anyone suggest a good quality finish please?

Thanks for your help, great forum!

Dave

Bleedin Thumb
15th November 2006, 12:49 PM
Hi duboz76 & welcome.

You may get Tallowwood a bit under $3 but I cant speak for WA.
I got a quote for Blackbutt the other week for $3.15/lm but once again WA may be more expensive.
As far as finishes, go further back in the archives under flooring/decking its all been discussed before.
Don't forget before and after shots.

Vernonv
15th November 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi Dave,
I am currently doing a deck using cover/utility grade hardwood decking (a mix of red iron-bark, yellow stringy, tallowood and turpentine) that I got directly from the mill for $1.50/lm. You can also get it at building supply auctions at most major centres.

It has saved me a lot of $, but is much more time consuming to lay, as you are generally laying shorter lengths and you have to spend time cutting out any bad bits.

Also if you do use cover grade you need to order more than if you get first grade, as there is normally more wastage.

duboz76
15th November 2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. Found the archives on finishes, and also have rung a few mills about different options - going out this weekend to have a look. Cheers
dave

Will update some pics soon

Ben (TM)
17th November 2006, 08:39 AM
Geez - I want to use Karri for my deck over here in Melbourne and I am getting high 3's/m. I would have thought that you would be able to get it much cheaper over your neck of the woods...