PDA

View Full Version : Will grout adhere to paint on the wall?

Paws
12th November 2006, 07:01 PM
I have replaced the single row of tiles around the bottom of my laundry wall but have not done the grouting which will also include a layer of grout on the top edge of the tiles sealing the gap between the tiles and the wall. I am also wanting to paint the laundry walls. Can I paint the walls first, then grout the top of the tiles or will the grout not adhere to the paint? Do I need to grout first then wait a couple of weeks for the grout to dry before painting the walls?

All a bit confusing!

mic-d
12th November 2006, 08:37 PM
I prefer to run an acrylic sealant around the top of the tiles to cover the gap and do it before painting. You can get a nicer finish with that and if there is any movement in the wall it will not show up as a crack.

Cheers
Michael

Honorary Bloke
12th November 2006, 10:02 PM
What mic-d said. Do not use grout along the tops of the tiles, use a silicon sealer/caulk. And yes, the silicon will stick to the paint, so paint first or last, no matter. :)

Paws
12th November 2006, 10:17 PM
Thank you for that help. I have finally tried tiling after years of thinking it was beyond my ability and have found it challenging but very satisfying.

Using a silicon sealer will make the job a lot easier and quicker. I am presuming that I should also use the silicon sealer for the bottom of the tiles to make a good waterproof seal. Is that correct?

I have also put up some tiles for a splashback behind the laundry sink. Would you also use the silicon sealer for the edges of these tiles?

And...one last question. I have bought some grout sealer to put on the grout in a couple of weeks when the grout is dry. Is this the best way to waterproof the grout?

Honorary Bloke
12th November 2006, 10:33 PM
Thank you for that help. I have finally tried tiling after years of thinking it was beyond my ability and have found it challenging but very satisfying.

Tiling can be quite satisfying! And not as hard as you think it will be (usually).

Using a silicon sealer will make the job a lot easier and quicker. I am presuming that I should also use the silicon sealer for the bottom of the tiles to make a good waterproof seal. Is that correct?

Yes. As a general rule, use silicon wherever tile meets another medium (wall, floor, etc.) or ends (top of your tiles), or anytime you have a 90 degree turn (like where bench tiles meet the backsplash tiles, for example.)

I have also put up some tiles for a splashback behind the laundry sink. Would you also use the silicon sealer for the edges of these tiles?

Yes.

And...one last question. I have bought some grout sealer to put on the grout in a couple of weeks when the grout is dry. Is this the best way to waterproof the grout?

Yes, works quite well. Waiting a couple of weeks is the go, to make sure the grout is completely cured out. Sounds like you're on the right track. :)

Paws
12th November 2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks again Bob. The world has become a much smaller place - tiling help for me in the Blue Mountains, NSW from you in USA. :)