PDA

View Full Version : Timber frame protection in wet area?

bondibouy
8th November 2006, 08:34 PM
Any tips on treating and protecting timber door and window frames in a wet area ie shower.

OBBob
9th November 2006, 07:31 AM
Get a good large exaust fan and make sure it's used.
Make sure there is somewhere the exaust fan can suck air from ... like a vent or under the door.
Use gloss or semi-gloss paint with anti-mould adative.
Make sure all the timber is sealed one way or another.

Not sure if this answres your question but you shouldn't have an issue unless the timber is staying damp.

silentC
9th November 2006, 08:47 AM
The best way is to not have timber in those areas. We had a shower in a bathroom that was so small, the only window was IN the shower enclosure. It was an old house and the windows were timber. No matter how well we sealed and painted it, it never lasted and it eventually rotted. Was always mouldy.

If your window has timber reveals, I would consider cladding them with cement sheet, waterproofing and tiling over them. I'd rip out the timber door frame (is it the door into the shower?) and replace it with an aluminium showerscreen.

Hard to say without seeing what you're dealing with. Post a photo or two if you can.

bondibouy
11th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Its a construction job in progress.
There will be two french type doors opening off the double shower into a private courtyard.
I know that aluminium frame etc is the low maintenance option but unfortunately my lovely missus and her good friend a stylist insist on wanting timber frames etc.
I have said Ok but your are the two that are going to maintain it and when its all rotten replace it.
Being a self employed plumber that sees maybe a 1000 bathrooms a year do you think they listen to me??

OBBob
13th November 2006, 08:15 AM
Oh well ... better get it in writing and byte your tongue!! :)

If none of the timber is in yet then I guess you should make sure that it is sealed on all edges and back and front as well as possible.

silentC
13th November 2006, 08:27 AM
What about cedar?