PDA

View Full Version : Blum drawer runners

tony2096
5th November 2006, 04:02 PM
Just got to rave about Blum drawer runners.

I built some kitchen cabinets last year and thought I'd put good quality runners in - I chose Hettich full extension with ball bearing slides. These were fiddly to install - I had to route 17mm rebates in each drawer side and the results were OK in 4 of the drawers but one was always a bit dodgy.

The dodgy one gave up the ghost last week so I decided to try Blum Tandembox with soft close. Not cheap: $91 from Wilson & Bradley + $18 delivery. Much easier to install and I completed the drawer in only 5 hours (given my normal snail-like progress - this is rapid for me!)

The result is a thing of beauty - I can't walk past without trying it out again!

Another advantage is that the drawer is now a lot lighter since two of the sides are metal (ie they come with the drawer) rather than being 16mm particle board. like the rest of the innards.

mic-d
5th November 2006, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah baby! our whole kitchen runs on Blumotion soft close runners and the drawers in the cabinet I recently finished runs on same - very classy action!

Cheers
Michael

renomart
5th November 2006, 07:58 PM
Glad your happy Tony. ;)

I have Blum Tandembox in my kitchen too. (Though I must say I got a very good discount :D:D:D).

masoth
6th November 2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah. When I saw Miss Blum's drawers I did a runner.:eek:

lesmeyer
6th November 2006, 10:41 AM
I am using the Blum Tandem 560H for wooden drawers on the new kitchen drawers just installed. Just fantastic. Got them at trade price. :)
They must be top of range if not close to top of range. I still check the action when walking past :D.
Les

Doughboy
6th November 2006, 02:03 PM
They might cost more, if you dont get a handsome discount, but they are definitely worth the moula. I have nearly 65 metres of draws in my kitchen and they are all on blumotion runners. I have one with all my wine glasses and champagne flutes in and have not had one topple over yet so I reckon they are the bees knees.

Pete

China
6th November 2006, 10:01 PM
In my humble opinion blum products make that other brand look like toys

rowie
6th November 2006, 11:23 PM
Don't you just love not slamming your fingers in the drawers anymore.
I still got 5 sets just waiting for the right peice of furniture

sco
10th November 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm doing a flat pack kitchen at the moment with blumotion on all drawers. Nice smooth running and no slamming drawers. Also got the dampers for the cupboard doors... they work well with a couple of plastic bumpers on the doors.

renomart
10th November 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm doing a flat pack kitchen at the moment with blumotion on all drawers. Nice smooth running and no slamming drawers. Also got the dampers for the cupboard doors... they work well with a couple of plastic bumpers on the doors.

Sco,

Did you use Blumotion for Doors (integrated with door hinge) or the Blumotion piston (fits into a 10mm dia through-hole)?

sco
10th November 2006, 10:38 PM
I've got the little piston.

Just had a quick read of your blog... nice.

renomart
10th November 2006, 10:43 PM
I've got the little piston.

Just had a quick read of your blog... nice.

Thanks mate. It is a work in progress...;)

Just be careful of the piston type when showing off to your mates i.e dont slam the door so hard that it cracks the collar of the piston. If you have drilled the through-hole deeper than the actual piston length you may bury it! :eek:

pharmaboy2
11th November 2006, 08:28 AM
Heh guys -another blumotion person - question for you. The screws that attach the runner to the draw base all just scrape the damper as you close the draw. I have bought a couple of packs of screws, and the head either is too small to hold the runner or too proud to miss the damper. Anyone remember the brand of the screw /type/ place bought etc?

not exactly a biggy, but I'd sort of hoped the scarping would have worn itself to oblivion by now, but alas, its still going strong.

renomart
11th November 2006, 10:07 AM
Heh guys -another blumotion person - question for you. The screws that attach the runner to the draw base all just scrape the damper as you close the draw. I have bought a couple of packs of screws, and the head either is too small to hold the runner or too proud to miss the damper. Anyone remember the brand of the screw /type/ place bought etc?

not exactly a biggy, but I'd sort of hoped the scarping would have worn itself to oblivion by now, but alas, its still going strong.

Get yourself some euro screws. Drill a 5mm hole and screw them in.

http://www.hardwareresources.com/products.php?category=FI&section=FUNC&item=6055&leadchar=0http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=34265&stc=1&d=1163199998

http://www.hardwareresources.com/products.php?category=FI&section=FUNC&item=6055&leadchar=0

sco
13th November 2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks mate. It is a work in progress...;)

Just be careful of the piston type when showing off to your mates i.e dont slam the door so hard that it cracks the collar of the piston. If you have drilled the through-hole deeper than the actual piston length you may bury it! :eek:

Good tip...thanks. I've got the little plastic screw on clips so I'm not drilling into the carcass.

Shedhand
13th November 2006, 05:07 PM
Get yourself some euro screws. Drill a 5mm hole and screw them in.

http://www.hardwareresources.com/products.php?category=FI&section=FUNC&item=6055&leadchar=0http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=34265&stc=1&d=1163199998

http://www.hardwareresources.com/products.php?category=FI&section=FUNC&item=6055&leadchar=0
Be sure to get good quality Euro screws. The ones that came with my kitchen packs were very poor quality. The head circumference wasn't constant with the result that some were too small for the holes in the slides.

journeyman Mick
14th November 2006, 12:36 AM
Apologies if you already knew this....

If you look on the head of the Euro screw there's some lines embossed diagonally through the screwdriver slots. These indicate that the head requires a Pozi-drive screwdriver rather than a Philips-head. They're not interchangeable and using the wrong one tends to chew out the head.

Mick