PDA

View Full Version : Screw ? stains visible through plasterboard

debathome
31st October 2006, 09:11 AM
Hello,
We have just bought a house and in my bathroom I have brown marks visible through the paintwork (gyprock walls).. I think they are where the screws have attached the gyprock to the studs as they are evenly spaced/lined up. Can someone tell me why these might have appeared? and How can I fix them?
Thanks so much for any assistance...
Cheers
Deb :confused:

Honorary Bloke
31st October 2006, 09:17 AM
The brown marks are likely rust on the screw/nail heads leeching through the paint. If the screws are otherwise sound and embedded in the gyprock, you can apply a rust-inhibiting primer on the spots and then touch up the paint. Someone local will know a good brand. Over here it is called Kilz.

Good luck. :)

debathome
31st October 2006, 09:45 AM
Bob,
Thanks heaps for the quick reply. Can I just clarify... I just paint over the marks as they are now with the primer? or do I pick out the plaster/paint & apply it directly to the screw heads themselves? Sorry to be a pain..
Smiles
Deb

Honorary Bloke
31st October 2006, 09:51 AM
No, just paint over the marks as they are now. The rust-inhibitor keeps the colour from getting through the paint.

You are getting rust in the bath particularly because it is a wet environment. Should be painted with gloss or semi-gloss waterproof paint and an exhaust fan wouldn't come amiss.

If you can keep the water away from the screws/nails (with paint) you can probably save it without a lot of demo and reno.

echnidna
31st October 2006, 10:03 AM
an oil based undercoat will seal the stains

rod@plasterbrok
31st October 2006, 12:17 PM
Someone has used the wrong type of screw or nails for that to happen!!

Zincalume or gal screws or nails are the only ones to use.