PDA

View Full Version : painting over pre galvanized steel fence

redred
30th October 2006, 07:26 PM
hi good day
I am new member for this as i have made a fence for my front yard crimped square steel tube as i thought of powdercoating but the price
quote i got is around $650.00 i need some info on cost effective spray painting which will have good bonding for galvanized steel for harsh weather condition that will stick with durablity

Bleedin Thumb
31st October 2006, 08:24 AM
I'm no expert but if your fence has been there a while then the gal will have corroded so it will need an acid bath first. Then it needs priming then painting. $650 may not be too bad.
However don't powder coat, the stuff is rubbish. you are better of with epoxy-paint and primer.
As you have not chosen to reveal your location I can't recommend anyone but speak to sandblasting/coating companies.

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 11:01 AM
I take it that this fence is new and if so you will have to clean the gal before applying a primer. Have a look at the Galmet Paint (http://www.galmet.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/home) range, they are specifically made for metal coatings.

PPW
31st October 2006, 11:23 AM
I recently made (Welded Up) a 5.6mtr sliding gate frame.

I used Dulux Galvanised Iron Primer as the basecoat, then followed by 2 coats of Dulux Weathershield Garden Shades Self Priming low sheen Acrylic

As the steel was new cleaning is an absolute must to remove the grease from manufacture.

Hope this helps

echnidna
31st October 2006, 11:37 AM
I might be wrong but I think Wattyl Solaguard doesn't need a primer over aged gal.