PDA

View Full Version : Are there any TILERS here? Quick question.

makka619
30th October 2006, 01:42 PM
Is it possible to cut a small decorative diamond glass tile in half? (it is approx. 3.5cm by 3.5cm)

This is for the corner, so that half sits on one wall and the other half on the adjoining wall.

I will draw up a diagram to help explain my question, and some photos as well.

makka619
30th October 2006, 03:57 PM
Okay so here is a pic of the tile I want to cut in half. I have two tiles, so I can cut half from each piece, to avoid cutting it to short on one side etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/diamondglasstile.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/tilediagram.jpg

Honorary Bloke
30th October 2006, 09:58 PM
Of course it's possible. But what tools do you have at hand?

makka619
30th October 2006, 10:04 PM
The tiler said that because it is glass he can't do it.

Not sure what his cutting machine is called. I think that might be the only tool he has?

But anyway, I was thinking if he can't do it, I could get someone else to with the right equipment. What type of tools do you need to cut through it?

makka619
30th October 2006, 10:11 PM
Or should I just ask other tilers around to see if one has the right tools to do it?

Good to hear it is possible :)

Honorary Bloke
30th October 2006, 10:13 PM
If it's well and truly glass, I think I would score it diagonally with a glass cutter and snap it in two. Do it carefully and you may be able to use both halves, as scoring doesn't create a kerf.

Clamp it down, score the line, then place it on a board or something with one half extended over the edge and use the other end of the glass cutter to tap it until it breaks on the line.

makka619
30th October 2006, 10:29 PM
If it's well and truly glass, I think I would score it diagonally with a glass cutter and snap it in two. Do it carefully and you may be able to use both halves, as scoring doesn't create a kerf.

Clamp it down, score the line, then place it on a board or something with one half extended over the edge and use the other end of the glass cutter to tap it until it breaks on the line.

Cool, hope this is an option.

Not sure if it is all glass, it appears so, there is a paper thin layer of plaster or something on the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/tilers007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/tilers005.jpg

Yeah ####ty pictures, kinda pointless uploading. Just wanted to see if that looks all glass - or okay to cut.

Thanks for your help, I will look into it tommorrow.

ian
30th October 2006, 10:53 PM
wet diamond saw
you will have to make the cut at 45° to the face so that the two pieces join to form a true diamond. Otherwise one piece will overlap the other.

ian

makka619
31st October 2006, 12:31 AM
Thankyou Ian! :)

makka619
31st October 2006, 05:12 PM
So I called up a tiling business and the lady pretty much said what you said Bob - "of course it can be done".

She apologised at the end for giving me a lecture. Gosh she knew a lot, she explained all of the tools, what ones are used for what. What one I need to use for my tiles. What ones I can buy to do it myself. (I am getting them to do it, I don't want to risk it) She said that every tiler should have a few certain tools to cater for different aspects. That my tiler should never have said that he can't do it; that is rubbish and the only reason he would have said it was to lead me on because he doesn't want to do it. I told her he said he couldn't do it because they are glass tiles and he can't cut glass... she was shocked and said that was rediculous, that all tiles are made of glass.... ask him what they are made of. At the end she explained that it is tradesmen like this who give other tradesmen a bad name. That "here we are trying to tell people how good tradesman are, then ones like this come along" something to that effect.

It's what I was thinking all along. It just didn't add up, I know I have seen it done in places, which is why I decided to do some research.

This tiler is rediculous. He has been saying for the last month that he will be here to do some more work. Finally we get in touch with him and he showed up yesterday. This is when I got the chance to ask him if he could cut the glass tile. He stayed for one hour and cruised. Left a note saying he would be back after tea... suprise, surprise, he didn't show, nor did he call.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

His job is not much to be desired. I know I am a perfectionist, so I try to step back and look at it from a view of what is to be expected. However, there are many tiles that are cut way too short and are layed crooked. This coming from a tiler who says he prides himself on doing a perfect finish. We have made him re-do some tiles that were just a mess. He says we had to have stepped on them when they were wet.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess we have an amazing ability to walk up walls.

Rant over:D

womble
31st October 2006, 06:35 PM
So I called up a tiling business and the lady pretty much said what you said Bob - "of course it can be done".

She apologised at the end for giving me a lecture. Gosh she knew a lot, she explained all of the tools, what ones are used for what. What one I need to use for my tiles. What ones I can buy to do it myself. (I am getting them to do it, I don't want to risk it) She said that every tiler should have a few certain tools to cater for different aspects. That my tiler should never have said that he can't do it; that is rubbish and the only reason he would have said it was to lead me on because he doesn't want to do it. I told her he said he couldn't do it because they are glass tiles and he can't cut glass... she was shocked and said that was rediculous, that all tiles are made of glass.... ask him what they are made of. At the end she explained that it is tradesmen like this who give other tradesmen a bad name. That "here we are trying to tell people how good tradesman are, then ones like this come along" something to that effect.

It's what I was thinking all along. It just didn't add up, I know I have seen it done in places, which is why I decided to do some research.

This tiler is rediculous. He has been saying for the last month that he will be here to do some more work. Finally we get in touch with him and he showed up yesterday. This is when I got the chance to ask him if he could cut the glass tile. He stayed for one hour and cruised. Left a note saying he would be back after tea... suprise, surprise, he didn't show, nor did he call.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

His job is not much to be desired. I know I am a perfectionist, so I try to step back and look at it from a view of what is to be expected. However, there are many tiles that are cut way too short and are layed crooked. This coming from a tiler who says he prides himself on doing a perfect finish. We have made him re-do some tiles that were just a mess. He says we had to have stepped on them when they were wet.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess we have an amazing ability to walk up walls.

Rant over:D

sounds like he's pretty ordinary, try another one...

workgoose
31st October 2006, 10:00 PM
Sounds like you need to look for another tiler mate, this time a real one...:rolleyes:

makka619
6th November 2006, 06:56 PM
Help!

'How do I measure a 45degree angle on the tile. I have it cut in half... and I am going to use a stained glass grinder I have. I have never used it. I am so bummed, I can't find anyone to put the angle there for me.