PDA

View Full Version : Rolling High Gloss Enamel

Andy78
22nd October 2006, 10:57 PM
Hey All,

I am planing to paint some semi-solid flush doors with high gloss enamel paint and was wondering if I should be using a special roller or can I just use a normal wallboard roller?

Gumby
22nd October 2006, 11:14 PM
I did my doors recently but took them off and did them flat. Just used a brush but when they are flat it all evens out whatever you use. Just watch the dust however.

johnc
23rd October 2006, 12:13 AM
I've generally stuck to a foam roller, wrapped in glad wrap between coats and binned when finished. The cheap ones fall apart so I tend to go for the more expensive units.

Tools
23rd October 2006, 07:14 AM
The nap on the roller you use on the wall is way too long.You need a much shorter nap for gloss.

Tools

Chesand
23rd October 2006, 07:23 AM
I use a foam roller to put the paint on evenly and quickly then 'lay it off' with a good quality brush. Always use top quality paint also.

Barry_White
23rd October 2006, 10:16 AM
I use a foam roller to put the paint on evenly and quickly then 'lay it off' with a good quality brush. Always use top quality paint also.

I have a friend who is a professional painter and this is what he does. The roller gets it on quick and the brush takes out any bubbles and it ends up with a high gloss finish. He also uses a product called flowtrol.

Andy78
30th October 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I finished painting all my doors on the weekend with a very short nap mohair roller and they have come up a treat.