PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Tallowood Deck

sore thumb
17th October 2006, 11:05 PM
Just wanted to say hello and mention that after reading many of the posts here I mustered the courage to put a deck down on a raised concrete slab on the front of the house. It's been a bit of hard work (don't want to see another dynabolt for at least 10 years :)) But it has been rewarding and enjoyable.

I've got half the decking laid - Tallowood. But have a question about the timber. I ordered 380 LM. 350 came wrapped and is fine, the other 30 metres came loose and looks like it has some water stains on it. I'm also worried that I might get some water on some of the deck before it's completed. Is sanding the only way get this off? ( I saw a similiar question was asked about water staining on Blue Gum flooring - didn't know if the Tallowood could be treated differently)

Thanks
Eric

glock40sw
20th October 2006, 12:39 PM
G'day Eric.

yep,The same applies.
However, Is your deck going to be weather exposed?

If it is, you will find that the timber will display a water stain anyway.

It is possible to sand and coat the deck boards prior to installing them. that way they get a coating on all 4 sides.

sore thumb
20th October 2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Trevor,

Most of the deck will not be exposed as ther is a roof over it, it should only get exposed as the rain blows in round the edges.

I've been doing some more searching and I have concluded that I am not dealing with water stains but tannin stains. Found a few recomendations that oxaylic (sp) acid mixed up and appled to to the stain should get rid of the stains. Does this sound right?

Eric

glock40sw
20th October 2006, 10:13 PM
I've never tried it, But heard of people that have and they seem to like it.