PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Peeling Architrave

railman
10th October 2006, 10:59 PM
Hi
I need some advice on preparing old solid wood architrave which has a few layers of old paint on it. Some of the paint can be peeled off in small sheets to expose the timber underneath. What is the best way to prepare the architrave ready for re-painting...Does all the paint need to be completely stripped off ? if so what is the best method to strip the paint off ?

regards

JDarvall
10th October 2006, 11:09 PM
I can tell you the easiest way....don't prepare it much. Just rub it down thoughly with steel wool to get into all the valleys of the profile to clear the flakes , fill holes with putty,,,,sand the putty flush,,,,,and just paint over what ever doesn't come away with the wool. And say ...... ' she'll be right ' . And you'll be right.

There was a similar thread on this recently, with some other tips regarding spray on paint removes etc..... may prefer them. ...somebody will chime in with something soon.

silentC
11th October 2006, 09:37 AM
Only thing I would add to the pearls of apricotdom above is to use a scraper to remove the majority of the flaking paint first and feather the edges back with sandpaper. Maybe a wipe of spak over the top if you are fussy.