PDA

View Full Version : Decking Design Question

Hootsmon
5th October 2006, 03:21 PM
Hi All,

I'm about to attempt my first deck. I've a 3m x 1.7m concrete slab/patio out the back and want to cover it up. I was thinking of using H4 TP 200x75x3.0m dynabolted onto the concrete as the base then merbau on top. I've been over to bunnies for a look at their TP and the 200 width looks very wide. I want the rise to be 75mm as the slab is flush with the grass. Does anyone have any other suggestions about the base?

mic-d
5th October 2006, 06:03 PM
If you want to use treated pine bearers, many timber yards will rip the sleepers in half for a small fee.
Or you could do it yourself with a rip blade and a circular saw with a fence.
Cheers
Michael

Hootsmon
5th October 2006, 06:24 PM
Cool, I'll ask if they'll do that. It would be just the job!

Sturdee
5th October 2006, 07:05 PM
Hi All,

I want the rise to be 75mm as the slab is flush with the grass. Does anyone have any other suggestions about the base?

If you want the rise to be 75mm use the 50mm thick sleepers as you have to allow for the decking. They are also substantially cheaper.:D

No problems with ripping them with a circular saw, I have done that many times, but make sure that the cut side is NOT in touch with the ground as cutting them reduces the effectiveness of the treatment. Use the 3m sleepers along the length rather than shorter ones across the width.

Good luck and some photos of your work would be nice.

Peter.

Hootsmon
5th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Good point about allowing for the decking. The 50mm ones will be easier to cut in half. I've got an el cheapo GMC with a fence which I could use. It just has the blade it came with. Is their a difference between it and a rip blade?

Shaun04
5th October 2006, 09:10 PM
Good point about allowing for the decking. The 50mm ones will be easier to cut in half. I've got an el cheapo GMC with a fence which I could use. It just has the blade it came with. Is their a difference between it and a rip blade?

Yeah the rip blade is like a hot knife through butter, and the blade you have got knowing GMC will only struggle and kick back on you abit if youre not used to powersaws.

freebs
8th October 2006, 08:07 PM
Heheh, stand well clear of that little GMC setup, especially if the blade is a little worn. You want a good saw and better blade at the best of times, even moreso when cutting the aforementioned lumber. IF you don't buy new blade, make sure no part of you is behind the saw itself when cutting. Then if it kicks back, no part of your anatomy will be in its firing line.

Shaun04
9th October 2006, 07:26 AM
Always be ready for kickback because if your not ready for it, it will be the the scariest thing youve ever been through, especially when its a 9 and a quarter saw :eek:

bpj1968
10th October 2006, 02:37 PM
Have you priced the rougher header treated pine in the ready to use size, say 90x45? Just check the H rating.

Saves ripping it, and it is usually more consistant sizes than rough sawn and/or sleepers. (recently bought 20+ sleepers. Although all were "200x75" the 2.1 long were about 75mm. All the other sizes were 80-85mm)