PDA

View Full Version : undercoat for plaster walls

dexx
4th October 2006, 05:38 PM
What would be the best kind of undercoat for plastered internal walls. The walls are brick covered in a grey cement float with a thin layer of plaster on top. I want something that will seal the plaster, provide some strength, and give a good bonding surface for the topcoat.

Gumby
4th October 2006, 05:44 PM
Off to the paint shop you go. read the can, ask the man. There are several good quality undercoats and some will go straight on to plaster as an undercoat/filler. but don't buy cheap. Get good paint.

woodsprite
4th October 2006, 11:42 PM
About to start painting the last roomof our renovation - it has just been plastered. Did the rest of the extension - see other posts - with Bristol undercoat. They sell a sealer/undercoat which did a good job on the new rooms - reasonably thick, covered well with a roller, and the two top coats went on very well.

A tip though - wash your plaster down well first, and use the best sealer undercoat you can, as the base coat makes a huge difference to the top coats and in maintaining the quality and durability of the finish. As suggested, read the can and talk to the man. I do wish I had used Solver paints though, they are a real pleasure to paint with and the quality is excellent!

Side Note: google Australian Standards for painting plaster! I did a few months ago and was shocked. The highest standard says that every coat should be sanded and washed, and from memory they say 4 coats of paint should be applied! I wonder how many pro painters wash and sand between coats, let alone apply 4 coats?

Jeff

makka619
5th October 2006, 01:53 AM
hehe (interesting) well I am fussy about my finishes, paintmarks, tiny, microscopic bumps so I pretty much lightly sanded between each of my paint finishes. Being a perfectionist is annoying but occasionly pays off.

Just had the granny flat plasterboarded and used accent Interior/Exterior Multi Prep Acrylic for the undercoat as guided to by the paint man.

I don't know if you are talking about the same plaster - plaster is plaster yeah? Well I couldn't clean the plasterboard, because the damp cloths seemed to rub into the plaster and wreck it. So I just used a dry cloth to remove all the dust etc.

Our plasterer wasn't the most reliable, no courtousy calls for non-appearances as he continually promised - took 3 months longer to do the job then quoted. In the end he pretty much avoided us, so I didn't get the chance to ask him what the best prep etc was for it.

Tools
5th October 2006, 09:45 PM
You can't use an acrylic sealer on hard plaster,or you will find the paint will peel off.You need to use a seler / binder,which is oil based.

Tools

Bluegum
6th October 2006, 11:24 AM
I used Taubmans 3 in 1 to undercoat the plasterboard at home. It finised off OK and I will use it again on the next job.

makka619
6th October 2006, 01:14 PM
You can't use an acrylic sealer on hard plaster,or you will find the paint will peel off.You need to use a seler / binder,which is oil based.

Tools

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you referring to plasterboard?

bpj1968
8th October 2006, 09:44 PM
I have used the Dulux sealer, worked well, can't remember the exact name, but the can was pink. It's main purpose is to give a bonding surface and to seal. Also good as an undercoat on patch work, saves having dull spots in teh paint wear it soaked in.

Tools
8th October 2006, 10:22 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you referring to plasterboard?
Makka,don't panic!! I am referring to solid plaster on brickwalls which is what Dexx said he has.For plasterboard you need to use an acrylic sealer.

Tools

Tools
8th October 2006, 10:24 PM
Having said that, I am assuming that the walls are new.If they are already painted (and presumably seled with an oil paint) then acrylic is ok.