PDA

View Full Version : help with crazed paint

gray71
24th September 2006, 11:00 AM
Hi all, I have been viewing this great forum for a while now and have have a problem of my own that I hope to get some help with.

We recently bought our 28yo house and have started the repainting, renovations etc.but in one of the bedrooms the walls have crazed paint and Im not sure what preparation I should do before finishing with Dulux 101 satin.

I tried taking a picture but the cracking is too fine to show up in the photo.

Do I give it a light sand and was it down with sugar soap then two top coats as normal or do I have to do further surface preparation?

-Graham

pawnhead
26th September 2006, 08:27 AM
Well I'm not a painter, but since you haven't had any replies, what I'd do is just skim the surface with some plasterboard top-coat and a cheap plastic broadknife. Leave it to dry and sand it with a hand sander, or just a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around it.
If the cracks are really fine, then the paint might fill them. Test a small section with a paint roller and see if the cracks are still noticeable.

bresmith
26th September 2006, 11:44 AM
I had fine and some larger cracks all through my plasterwork. Just filled them in with skim coat and sanded back as pawnhead suggested. Worked perfectly although l don't think l needed to even fill the fine ones in as a couple of coats of paint would have done a pretty good job anyway.