PDA

View Full Version : Painting dilemma

m4rio
14th September 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi guys- hope to get some wisdom from the expert here;
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Just bought this house @western Sydney and about to renovate;
<o:p></o:p>
In some of the rooms the wall are covered by wood-panelling – and they look ugly & dated.
Originally I was planning to take off the wood panelling and paint. However to my shock I discover that there are multiples wallpaper underneath! Few tradies are quite reluctant to remove the wallpaper – and then suggested to gyprock on top existing wall.
However one of them commented that gyprock straight wouldn’t look nice because it will meet the cornice (ie no gap between cornice and top wall)
My dilemma is to ;

Put gyprock straight , after removing the woodpanelling -this wouldn’t look so nice , but cheaper

Take the existing gyprock/asbestos, then put new gyprock- this will look nice & normal, but more expensive & not to mention some walls got asbestos.
I’m leaning towards option 1 – mainly due to cost.
What do you think -?

chrise
14th September 2006, 10:29 PM
Me personally option 2 is what I would do. But if option 1 is what you want why dont you remove the cornices lay 6mm gyprock over the existing wall and then re install the cornices or you can also use the standard 10mm stuff.

Also are you sure you have asbestos sheets on your walls?

Chris

PS please dont use what ever font and size you used to post again as its near impossible to read

journeyman Mick
15th September 2006, 12:34 AM
I'd put gyprock over the top and install a larger cornice over the top of the existing. I'd also use a larger font size;)

Mick

coastie
15th September 2006, 12:51 AM
Went through this exercise with my son about 12 months ago walls in large a family room were panelled halfway up with a chair rail at top.We wanted to repaint right through because house had been tenanted and tenants taste in colour were bright blue ,light yellow ,dark pink on enameled surfaces ,lime green on doors,etc,etc.Absolutely shocking, no cutting in where walls met cornice ,the whole nine yards in bad taste,On removing first panel found they had all been glued with quick as nails which ripped the surface of the gyprock,so away we went and replaced all the gyprock,luckily his brother in law got us the sheets for nought,(damaged stock).It was a bugger of a job ended up hiring the big wallboard sander from Kennards when we had jointed all the seams etc .Unless you can get someone to help you or have any mates that are Gyprockers leave it to the pros.:eek:

m4rio
15th September 2006, 05:30 PM
I was copying /pasting from word – hence the font size.. (don’t know it turn out so small)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
- in bedrooms/lounge I think its gyprock, however laundry is asbestos<o:p></o:p>
I will investigate to either –<o:p></o:p>
Remove & reinstall the cornice , or<o:p></o:p>
Put cornice on top of cornice (this is new to me !! ) <o:p></o:p>
I’m using plasterer – not doing it myself.<o:p></o:p>
Coastie: what do you do with the cornice – in your experience ?<o:p></o:p>

cheers,

Jacksin
15th September 2006, 08:07 PM
Mate, if you keep posting in this style people will begin to ignore you.

Metal Head
15th September 2006, 09:08 PM
Mate, if you keep posting in this style people will begin to ignore you.

Hi M4rio,

Once you have pasted your document in the box, preview it and remove the unnecessary >/}[ bits. As Jacksin said previously you are unlikely to get that many answers as most people find it off putting and couldn't be bothered replying;).

Regards
David

m4rio
18th September 2006, 05:13 PM
Hi guys..

apologise for those rubbish in the post - it was never my intention.
I 'll make sure this post is neat and tidy :)

cheers