PDA

View Full Version : Changing white to white

jmk89
13th September 2006, 10:46 AM
SWMBO has instructed me that this weekend I won't be allowed into the shed but will be required to repaint one of the bedrooms because we are moving our son out of that one into another room and our daughter in.

I am told the current wall colour (White Magnolia i.e., a white with a yellow tinge) won't go with the decor that SWMBO has planned and that the wall colour needs to be a white with a green tinge.

Do you think I need to put a plain white coat (for example, ceiling white) on the walls first? Or can I just put the new greenish wall colour straight over the existing yellowish top coat? I will be using the same brand of water-based acrylic paint.

many thanks

Jeremy

Bleedin Thumb
13th September 2006, 10:58 AM
I guess you are hopeing to get a professional painters opinion on this unfortunately I'm not one.

What I'd do is just paint the new colour straight over. If SWMBO says she can still see the old colour then give it a second coat.
By giving it an undercoat your doing 2 coats anyway so your no worse off and if the first coat is OK your back in the shed that much sooner.

DanP
13th September 2006, 11:24 AM
Don't bother undercoating, two coats of the top coat will be more than sufficient.

Dan

RufflyRustic
13th September 2006, 12:51 PM
Or else simply paint the room white (white with no accents) so you don't have to paint the room again for years.....:rolleyes:

obviously I'm no interior decorator or designer, maybe that should be thank goodness ;)

Hope the painting goes on quickly and nicely so you are back in the shed sooner than later. (good news, the full moon is past now so this should help:p )

cheers
Wendy

jmk89
13th September 2006, 03:34 PM
Well then

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I will give it a go without an undercoat ( the main job will be sugar soaping off all my son's early artistic experiments in murals (don't ask)) and see how it goes.

When I get back in the shed the jobs that need to be done are:
1. fettle the triton Workcentre so that it cuts straight and square (it is a month since the good oil on this was posted on the Triton Forum and I haven't got around to it)
2. get the 6 planes (one #220, 2 #4s, one #6, one #51/2 and one #7) sorted that have been waiting for loving treatment
3. build my long promised shooting board
4. build a doll's cradle for number 1 daughter (with any luck before Christmas)

Cheers

Jeremy