PDA

View Full Version : Clean deck before oiling?

dorothyn
12th September 2006, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I have a new merbau deck, about six weeks old, that has just been power washed.

Do I need to use a cleaner before oiling it, or can I just go straight to the oil?

Thanks much,

Dorothy

Shedhand
14th September 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I have a new merbau deck, about six weeks old, that has just been power washed.

Do I need to use a cleaner before oiling it, or can I just go straight to the oil?

Thanks much,

DorothyWashing with Oxalic Acid or Deck Wash is recommended. Most of the commercial preparations contain oxalic acid.
Cheers

meerkat
14th September 2006, 03:54 PM
yeah what he said.

Also I heard you should let it stand a while to let the gums come out.

Local Handyman
14th September 2006, 09:19 PM
Love the Beer truck!

You could wait for up to 6 mths if you wanted to but wash just before you oil it. Minimum wait is 8 weeks with some hosing to wash the tannins through look at the timber underneath and feel is is it sticky and oily ? If yes it's not ready yet.

bpj1968
15th September 2006, 01:09 PM
This very question was discussed a few weeks ago.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=36736

Shedhand
15th September 2006, 04:04 PM
yeah what he said.

Also I heard you should let it stand a while to let the gums come out.Hey Meerkat pass me one o' those beers...this flooring is hot bloody work mate...make it 2 'n have one fer your good self... :)

dorothyn
20th September 2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks Guys. I've gotten conflicting information elsewhere, so appreciate the clear direction.

Cheers,

Dorothy

PS I'll check out the other threads referenced.

HarryB
5th October 2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks Guys. I've gotten conflicting information elsewhere, so appreciate the clear direction.

Cheers,

Dorothy

PS I'll check out the other threads referenced.

Hi Dorothy

How did you go with your deck? I have a deck built out of the same timber and I am about oil it in the next few weeks. Did the oil bring out the deep red colour in your deck? I would like to use the easiest, quickest and most effective product to complete this job.

HarryB