PDA

View Full Version : Painting window sills High Gloss - Acrylic

powerbuff
3rd September 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi there.

I purchased some Dulux Acrylic High gloss paint for the window sills etc.

I also got a small 60mm wide roller as the window sills are quite wide and you can use the roller for these. Hopefullly to eliminate brush marks.

My question is are these good for this kind of job? It seems the foamy bit on the roller gives a bit of a hammerhead finish and doesn't appear to be that golossy. I will check it agin when fully dry but do people find the brush gives a better finish with higher gloss?

I only have one coat on so far. If I go a brush how much should I spend to get a reasonable quality small brush so the brush marks aren't visible.

Do I need to go to enamel paint. I heard it isn't really necessary and you can get a good finish rom the acrylic paint.

Thanks a lot

mic-d
4th September 2006, 10:42 AM
you will probably find using the roller to load the paint on the sill and then quickly lay off with long brush strokes will give you the best finish. You can dilute the paint with a little water or floetrol to the manufacturers instructions. Idea is to get the brushing finished quickly as possible to allow the max time for the brushstrokes to flow out of the acrylic before drying. I've done quite a bit with full gloss acrylic and recently tried Dulux Aquanamel and it is slightly more glossy, but need the same application technique as gloss enamel.

Cheers
Michael

powerbuff
4th September 2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Mic D - WHat I have is aquanamel. So you can get it quite glossy. Does adding water increase the gloss?

Thanks