PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Lighting... Honest, it was FREE!

MajorPanic
20th August 2006, 09:03 PM
See, it does pay off! .... having low friends in high places ;)

Can you believe this was about to be thrown out!!! :eek:

It came from a major Brisbane hospital & was going to be binned. A friend asked if I wanted it & I thought it would make a great light over the workbench. It's ALL stainless (bloody heavy) with 11 x 600mm fluro's. I'll cut the legs off & suspend it upside-down with chains over the bench, the dimensions are 2250 X 750mm.
I reckon I'll get some quad-phosphor tubes for it & it'll be as bit bright as. :p

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/LightTable.jpg

dazzler
20th August 2006, 09:07 PM
Hope your not hair challenged:D

echnidna
20th August 2006, 09:07 PM
So yer changing yer handle ter Doc Panic now yer got the right props ?? :D

Flowboy
20th August 2006, 09:08 PM
Puts a whole 'nother slant to wood butchering.:eek: See if they have a steriliser as well.

Rob

MajorPanic
20th August 2006, 09:08 PM
So yer changing yer handle ter Doc Panic now yer got the right props ?? :D

Dunno, but I'll look into it for ya! ;)

Auld Bassoon
20th August 2006, 09:22 PM
Hell, just put some IR tubes in it and open a solarium!

Good score!

AlexS
20th August 2006, 09:59 PM
See if they have a steriliser as well.

Rob
That's not an autoclave, it's for steam bending:D

Nice pick up Major.

Driver
20th August 2006, 10:01 PM
When you've got it slung over the bench and you've switched it on, if you start hearing those five chords from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".............RUN!! Don't look back, just RUUNNNN!!!!!!!:eek:

Ramps
20th August 2006, 11:49 PM
should stop a tornado sucking your roof off with that thing hanging from it.

I would be good for me as my best safety glasses are my sunnies:D

Dan
20th August 2006, 11:57 PM
I read the first couple of lines of your post while waiting for the pic to load and my first thought was "he's scored one of those big overhead operating theatre lights:eek: ", now that would be cool. Still not a bad pickup.

elraco.com.au
21st August 2006, 07:52 AM
"It came from a "major" Brisbane hospital"

I can not believe something like that would get thrown out. What a waste.
I keep hearing on the news how the hospital system in QLD is in "tatters".:confused:

I am glad it going to a "good" home and will be used instead of filling upm landfill.:)

IanW
21st August 2006, 08:53 AM
I am glad it going to a "good" home and will be used instead of filling upm landfill.:)

Elraco - you mustn't investigate skips the way some of us do - it's criminal to see what gets chucked out in many! The best stuff always seems to be behind locked gates, or spotted when you're far from home and under the watchful eye of SWMBO.
And what's even more confusing, is that a friend of mine was heavied by an officious security type for 'stealing' when liberating some useful items from a skip. And this is a 'major university' which claims on its website to have a strong committment to conservation and recycling.
Go figure, as our friends across the pond say.......

Hey Major - with all that UV pounding down on you as you work, you better wear your Akubra and plenty of sunblock!!
Wouldn't it be easier to admit your sight is failing and just go get some specs like the rest of us??? ;) :D

Keep up the good recycling work.....

BobL
21st August 2006, 08:56 AM

In case anyone doesn't know what that table was for, they were for looking at X-ray photos. Now that clinics and hospitals are going digital and using hi res computer monitors these tables are no longer useful.

It seems a shame you have to butcher it as a mobile table. The lights inside could probably be removed and installed (although you would have to make up light housings) add a perforated timber top and you'd have a mobile sanding table. Any of course you know what you need best and one can never have enough good lighting.

Cheers

Bob38S
21st August 2006, 09:27 AM
Great find - pity I can't find this sort of thing out in the stix.

You said a "major" Brisbane hospital - there are many in our community who would have you believe that this sort of thing no longer exists.

Bob

RufflyRustic
21st August 2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/cool.gif

:D
Very Cool pickup Major!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

elraco.com.au
21st August 2006, 06:43 PM
Elraco - you mustn't investigate skips the way some of us do - it's criminal to see what gets chucked out in many!

Ian

I must get out more.
SWMBO was wanting a night out..............

soundman
21st August 2006, 11:33 PM
Certain government departments and education institutions can be massively wastefull. A " certain university" is known to throw entire fit outs of equipment into the skip when refitting.... equipment thet is still perfectly servicable and only a couple of years old.... surely this stuff should go to auction.:mad:

you and I pay for that.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2006, 11:57 PM
Major, before you hook it all up start teaching your wife how to post a pic in these forums.

I'm betting there'll be naught but a Major-shaped silhouette on a charred wall where your bench used to be... and we'll need an "after" pic as proof. ;) :D

rodent
22nd August 2006, 12:14 AM
Major, before you hook it all up start teaching your wife how to post a pic in these forums.

I'm betting there'll be naught but a Major-shaped silhouette on a charred wall where your bench used to be... and we'll need an "after" pic as proof. ;) :Djust emagen the power bill. crispy critter.

GregD
22nd August 2006, 08:17 PM
HMMMM Could always enclose it and turn it on and use it as a kiln ??? :rolleyes:

Graham Sands
23rd August 2006, 03:45 PM
I agree with BobL, there is more useable hardware in the item to serve as a table.

Lighting over a workbench should be from an ajustable incandescent lamp or lamps providing directional light to show uneven surfaces etc and replicate the colour temperature of the lighting in the final resting place of the workpiece. The large area fluro will give too diffuse lighting and get in the way of your overhead bench space.

HandyAndrea
26th August 2006, 08:48 PM
It would make a great lightbox for tracing patterns etc, or for viewing slides, just as it is!!

Rossluck
27th August 2006, 02:19 PM
I want it. I'll be around to pick it up later. Good quality photo as well.

:)