PDA

View Full Version : Paint shelf life

snowyskiesau
19th August 2006, 02:40 PM
What's the typical shelf life of plastic paint?
In the process of converting a unused room as a workshop, a cleanup revealed a 4 litre tin of paint about 6-7 year old. [Berger flat ]
Opened it up and after 15 minutes mixing, it looks OK ( at least it's the same colour as a wall painted with it when the paint was originally bought)
Worth trying or just throw it away?

Tools
19th August 2006, 02:49 PM
You are lucky to still have the tin.Paint tins these days seem to rust quite quickly.I don't know if it is the composition of the paint,or poor quality tins.As for the paint,if it is still liquid and not lumpy,I would use it.

Tools

snowyskiesau
19th August 2006, 02:50 PM
Should have been, Paint shelf life.
Can't edit a Title ...

snowyskiesau
19th August 2006, 02:56 PM
You are lucky to still have the tin.Paint tins these days seem to rust quite quickly.I don't know if it is the composition of the paint,or poor quality tins.As for the paint,if it is still liquid and not lumpy,I would use it.

The outside of the tin had some light surface rust. Inside, the lid was covered in a thick black rust as was part of the upper rim.
I had to add about half a litre of water to get the paint to mix properly.

Time to check out the old paint stored in the shed, some of it is much older.
On a similar note, how does one dispose of unwantred paint?

Tools
20th August 2006, 04:58 PM
If you have rust on the rim,you probably also have rust bits in the paint.Does the paint have its usual smell?? As for disposing of paint,you can spread it out on newspaper to dry,go to a chemical disposal place,or go to the free collection days they have throughout the year for household chemicals.Try your local council for details.

Tools

Wood Butcher
20th August 2006, 05:10 PM
Should have been, Paint shelf life.
Can't edit a Title ...
Nope, but I can;)

snowyskiesau
20th August 2006, 09:25 PM
If you have rust on the rim,you probably also have rust bits in the paint.Does the paint have its usual smell??
Tools
Smell was OK after I'd mixed it for a while. A few bits of rust must have come loose from the lid, these stuck in the roller and were easily removed. Room is painted and looks OK.

Interestingly I've had a small problem with some Dulux semi gloss I'd had left over from a job about 10 months ago. I used this to paint the windows/architraves, 2 coats over Dulux prepcoat. It looked OK a week ago when I did it but now it has a decided pink tinge to it.