PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Yellow Cedar Decking / Staining

Ragin
17th August 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi guys,

Well first of all Id like to say I have found this forum very interesting.. Well done.

Now as for my Dilema :confused:

I have built a Metal frame 7mx7m Alaskan Yellow Cedar Deck.
I wanted a dark look to it so I stained it with Feast Watson Decking Stain in Jarrah colour. The wood has taken the stain well although it has a very Matt finish. I was a bit dissapointed as I wanted a bit of a gloss look to it, 90% of the Deck is undercover so being slippery is not really a concern. So I have tried to find a product to Seal and UV protect it with a Glossy finish although I can not find anything. I called the Feast Watson Helpline and they advised there are no products to go over the Outdoor Decking stain and they were no help at all.

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/DeckingDeckingStain.asp

This is the Stain i used. Anyone have any Ideas? I have spent about $5000 and a lot of time on this project and am a little disheartened at the moment. :( I will show some pictures later if needed.

Cheers

Ragin
17th August 2006, 03:35 PM
Hey again,

I thought I would share the email repy I just received to my question.. I think this is pretty poor customer service.

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for visiting the Orica Woodcare website and for taking the time to send us an email.

I am not in the position to give you advice on this application as we have no products within our woodcare range suitable.

Regards,
Orica Woodcare Customer Service.

:rolleyes:

Ragin
17th August 2006, 05:42 PM
Have not got any recent ones will update soon.

Here are some old ones :D

It's a pitty there is a 100kb cap on pictures there were 1mb before shrinking.

E. maculata
17th August 2006, 07:16 PM
G'day & welcome, I'm gunna jump right in here and probably put boot in mandible, but you used a straight stain? right? not a coating? stain just stains that's what it does, after using the stain if you so desire a coating of another type may be applied for a gloss:) . I am curious as to why if you liked the dark red/browns why you didn't go for an aussie timber in that colour:confused: .

Ragin
18th August 2006, 11:30 AM
Hey E. maculata! Thanks for your reply.

I am new to staining / treating wood so I am fairly sure the Feast watson Decking Stain is just a stain.

"Its' oil rich formula is easy to apply and helps protect timber from the destructive effects of weathering."

Although I have no idea why they have no other sealing products they advise to go over the Decking stain for a gloss / wet finish. Do you have any ideas?

OK I chose the Alaskan Yellow Cedar as Locally I could not find anything else around the 140mm width x 25mm thickness . I called 9 wood and decking suppliers and none of them had anything over 90mm's wide.

Ragin
18th August 2006, 03:40 PM
Well I have done a bit of research on using clear sealers on outdoor decking and seems the reason I can not find any products for the job is that it is not durable. I have been advised that the sun causes the clear to go cloudy peel etc..

Has anyone had success in this area?? Most outdoor oil stains advise to recoat after 1-2 years. I presume this would be no easy task if you use a clear sealer as you would need to remove / sand off the clear coat to re-stain.

I am really wishing I had used Jarrah or similar hardwood instead of the Cedar as I would not have needed to stain it and there are some decking oils that have a satin finish I may have liked more. Ohh well I will have to be happy with the way it turned out.. I will update with a photo tomorrow.

Cheers

E. maculata
18th August 2006, 07:20 PM
I humbly regret that it appears some of my southern Brethren (timber industry) couldn't be bothered trying to locate you suitable timber in a native species, as it is quite easily obtainable if they so wish to ask. I know of a dozen manufacturers who will do reds (ironbark, greygum, redgum, red mahogany etc etc) in a 135mm profile, sure it costs a bit but it sounds like you have spent a bob on it anyway to get the results.
If you're ever after anything like that again just ask here, cause many of us will point you to the right suppliers with no bulldust to wade through.
Should look good though as quite often, you'll get a more even colouring with stains.

Ragin
19th August 2006, 11:47 AM
OK here is the Photo Update :D

Before the Stain

After Staining

Close up

Still wish there was a good way to get a glossy finish.

Cheers

Ragin
19th August 2006, 12:16 PM
In the sun light

digg
30th August 2007, 03:38 PM
hey Ragin nice deck ... I live down Glenelg way ... where are you ? I did deck/s recently and used Cabot's Jarrah Deck oil the experts from Cabot's whome I grilled @ The Working with Wood forum that was just at Wayville showground informed me that Deck Oil can go straight over oil based Deck stain and vice versa all life long ... so I did and the results are sweet , Just dont mix water based with oil (obvious I guess) ... If you want i show you mine show me yours (deck ) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=54913

Dusty
30th August 2007, 05:55 PM
Gloss decking finish (http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/deksolje.htm)

luckysack
30th August 2007, 06:47 PM
The decking stain you have used is oil based so there will no problem coating again with a decking oil. You'll must make sure that the oil applied is taken up by the timber and any pooled excess oil is wiped away before drying. You'll end up with a sticky finish otherwise. You'll only encounter problems when mixing waterbased with oilbased(as already advised).