PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Angle glue

Simomatra
16th August 2006, 03:58 PM
Hi

Looking for help. Need to adhere aluminium angle to tile steps. The angle is to be fitted on the riser & going join. It is a commercial situation

Any ideas on what adhesive to use ie Maxbond by Fuller or Fullerprine 303 by Fuller

Thanks

Pauly
16th August 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Simomatra,

I have done this with Liquid nails and it seems to have held up ok.

Regards Pauly

Simomatra
16th August 2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks Pauly

Thought that may do it did not want to waste the cost of the extra dollars if not required

Bodgy
16th August 2006, 07:53 PM
Go with Pauly. I used ally angle in our new bathroom, on external corners and round the windows onto tiles. 4 years on and the Liquid Nails (or whatever variant was cheapest at Bunnies), still holding.

This stuff would stick Simon Crean's smile to oily water!

NewLou
16th August 2006, 09:30 PM
Gidday Simomatra:)

I'd go using some sicka flex 295 ultra UV......................Is a real strong adhesive set up for porus to non porus glue ups etc. Give Lignum a PM his had a bit of experience with this one.

I've had great success using Sika 295 to help inlay aluminum t-trak into man made boards

Hope this helps

REGards Lou:D:D:D

Bodgy
16th August 2006, 09:46 PM
Yep Lou's correct, that would work too. Always use Sikaflex on the boats.

Bit more exxy tho, and ALWAYS wear gloves.

journeyman Mick
16th August 2006, 11:38 PM
Sam,
commercial installation hey? I'd look at it this way:
1 cartridge liquid nails/maxbond/whatever $4 - $6?
1 cartridge bostik matrix/sikaflex etc $10 - $15 ?
= cost saving of $9 per cartridge.

(above figures probably out a bit, been a few years since I used any of it regularly)

One angle coming loose = callback + cartridge of the good stuff + Xhours of time = loss of a few hundred$$ (+ damage to reputation = potentially thousand$$ lost :( :( )

I will not trust my money or reputation to liquid nails/maxbond et al it does go hard and brittle with with age and I've seen failures, plus you've got to ask yourself, if it comes loose and some old duck pitches head first down the stairs because of it, how good is my public liability?:eek:

Mick the cautious

Simomatra
17th August 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks all for the replies. The job in question is one my youngest son has been asked to do.

He respects all the opinions he reads on the forum

I think Mick has put up the valid points of the angle coming loose and also the public risk.

Many thanks to Bodgy and Lou I will let the son make the final decision as it is his reputation hanging on this

They have asked for the anle caping to protect the corners as to replace the entire stair would involve removal of a lot of timber. 139 stairs very costly. This is the owners cost saving way

Many thanks for al the replies

Sturdee
17th August 2006, 03:44 PM
He respects all the opinions he reads on the forum

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Peter.

Bob38S
18th August 2006, 11:56 AM
You do not mention whether it is internal or external - if internal then as a last resort use liquid nails - go with the sikaflex.

If it is external do not use liquid nails - it will lose its bond go powdery and the strip will fall off.

Do it once and do it right. IMHO

Bob

Simomatra
18th August 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks Bob

He has run with Lou's suggestion for the sikaflex 295 UV