PDA

View Full Version : chalk lines

drummelars
16th August 2006, 09:21 AM
hi guys im about to tile the loungeroom.

Question is what can i use to spray over the chalk lines so they dont dissappear????

Im taking it slow over 3 weeks to complete as im not in a hurry. Im afraid my lines will dsappear as they did in my last project in the laundry

any help???

cheers

drummelars
16th August 2006, 09:22 AM
hi guys im about to tile the loungeroom.

Question is what can i use to spray over the chalk lines so they dont dissappear????

Im taking it slow over 3 weeks to complete as im not in a hurry. Im afraid my lines will dsappear as they did in my last project in the laundry

any help???

cheers

journeyman Mick
16th August 2006, 09:53 AM
If you put oxide in your line rather than chalk they should stay down for a few weeks. The oxide will wreck the string in your chalk line though, seems to be more abrasive. Otherwise, snap your lines, lay down a long straight edge and trace away using the harder green brickie's pencils rather than the softer red ones.

Mick

Shaun04
16th August 2006, 05:27 PM
You can spray clear coat that used on cars and paint, that should make your lines stay there for a while.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2006, 05:36 PM
The quick'n'easy way is a PolyU lacquer in a spray can. Just cover to a few inches each side of the lines, no need to coat the whole floor.

Years ago, on of the tradies I worked with (a tiler, oddly enough :D) used to use cans of hairspray! VO5, I think. :rolleyes: Of course, he was tiling the same day but it prevented the chalk lines from smudging as the rest of us trudged in'n'out during the day...

Waldo
16th August 2006, 05:44 PM
G'day Drummerlars,

Another method, and one my Dad used to tile a 40sq. house, was to hammer nails into the concrete floor, that way he could put the string up as needed.

elphingirl
16th August 2006, 09:01 PM
I second teh hairspray - you can buy it for $2, and it makes a great semi-permanent protection. If it can be permanent, what about plain old permanent marker?
Cheers