PDA

View Full Version : Solar Pergolas in Perth

flashman1207
16th August 2006, 01:43 AM
Anyone had a 'solar pergola' installed in Perth. I am interested in one with the moveable louvres so it can be closed in bad weather. I know of the Vergola brand but they cost between $800 - $1000 sq/m

Regards
Tony

toddles
19th August 2006, 01:57 PM
Are you looking to make one yourself?

flashman1207
29th August 2006, 12:57 AM
Yes, I have contemplated building one myself but was trying to find out if anyone had one built 'professionally' and the cost etc..... I have had a couple of quotes, $6k for a metal one and $8k for a timber one (approx 22m2)....

Tony

Barry_White
29th August 2006, 11:18 AM
Tony I sell Spanline products on commission because thats the only sort of job I can get at my age.

Beside that Spanline sell two solar type pergolas. One is called the Eclipse opening roof and runs into between $1000.00 to $1200.00 sq metre depending on various factors e.g. Wind area and accessories etc. The blades are made from extruded aluminium and will leave the Vergola for dead in performance.

The other one is the Alfresco Slidaspan which will cost upwards of $800 M2 or more again depending on wind area and accessories. The blades are manufactured from rollformed Colorweld steel.

Speak to your friendly Spanline franchise.

toddles
29th August 2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, I have contemplated building one myself but was trying to find out if anyone had one built 'professionally' and the cost etc..... I have had a couple of quotes, $6k for a metal one and $8k for a timber one (approx 22m2)....

Tony

Sorry Tony - I've never built one but we're contemplating one ourselves. I had a meeting with the town planner & building surveyor about the approvals process yesterday for a range of reno's we're planning and he pointed me in the right direction in terms of building code guidelines etc. and insisted emphatically that pergolas, decks and the like built without council approval generally have to get torn down, resubmitted and rebuilt even if they're structurally fine (they don't like to reward people for applying for approval after the fact). So make sure you get appropriate approvals.
I've seen two timber designs before - one fixed and one adjustable. The owner of the adjustable one wasn't that excited about the performance of the louvres in bad weather. It had a design like plantation shutters laid flat and as there was no effective seal between the louvres so water dripped through constantly when it rained. If the ability to close them for a sealed patio in inclement weather is a major factor I'd look at the metal solar patio systems.

flashman1207
1st September 2006, 01:36 AM
mmmm I think I may have to build a timber one myself with the 'vanes' at the correct angle (34 degrees I think). $800 - $1200 sqm is outrageous. That would be around $20k for the pergola alone. Jeez, my 75 sqm extension only cost me $100k and thats with a $35k kitchen....

Was considering water proofing it all with a clear sheet (laserlight) cover 300mm or so over the solar pergola. Might be a problem with the heat though. Any thoughts???

Tony

Audrie
11th September 2006, 08:31 PM
Perhaps I can suggest for a nice cheap but effective option that you can use a fibre cement wall profile as blades set at the angle to the sun you requirte with steel brackets bent to the required shape available from a store like bunnings.

Audrie
Radical Vision Design Partnership
Perth