PDA

View Full Version : Self levelling cement - different brands etc

powerbuff
14th August 2006, 09:56 PM
Hi there what is the best to use on a floor in a kitchen that needs to be built up probably about 10mm.

Its in a kitchen that is a bout 2.5x 2.5m

Thanks
Gazza

powerbuff
18th August 2006, 07:41 AM
Is that Ardex type stuff the best?

pharmaboy2
18th August 2006, 09:33 AM
goto either a bricklayers supplier - ie building suuplies but not hardware, or a decnt tile supplier with a good sized warehouse attached who supply to tilers - never get the cheapest product - its always a mistake - there are plenty of brands, but the floor layers, carpeters etc will use a good brand that dries quick, sticks well, and doesnt crack all over the place - I have seen ardex used by vinyl layers. Do not buy froma hardware store- they may or may not stock good stuff.

guide - $55 a bag.

powerbuff
18th August 2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the tips there.

Speaking to the renderer about how many bags he reckons I will need. He said about 9!! But also said start with 6 or 7 and see how it goes.

The kitchen area is about 8-9sqm. Does this sound about right...over $300 for material!!

powerbuff
18th August 2006, 01:45 PM
Are Davco good products?

In the kitchen I should be able to get away with one that is interior use only right?

They are $32 a bag.

I just don't think you would use it in very humid and wet conditions..

Thanks
gazza

powerbuff
18th August 2006, 06:59 PM
anyone? Going to do this tomorrow.

Cheers

Tools
19th August 2006, 02:57 PM
I haven't used the Davco self levelling compound,but whatever you use,it would be wise to use a filler mixed in with it to lessen the cost.It is a small aggregate that is mixed in with the product just to bulk it up.Ardit,Ardex,Master Builders Technologies and others would be suitable.If you want to save some dollars,don't get it from a hardware shop.

Tools

powerbuff
19th August 2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks mate. THe Davco is apparently a good product I got this for $31.50 a bag. Going to start with 4 bags and see if I need more.

I have painted the floor with bondcrete (4 parts water - 1 part bondcrete) and left to dry. THis will seal the concrete subfloor.

Do you have to paint it againg before laying the self leveling compund? So that the self leveller sticks?

Thanks

myla
21st August 2006, 01:31 PM
hello,

this stuff sets b4 your very eyes so make sure you are prepared

you may be best to do in small sections and set a guide for build up

thanks
myla

powerbuff
22nd August 2006, 10:07 AM
myla - you are right!

I had 4 bags - all was going well - added one bag at a time.. doing each corner of the room and then moving back to the lounge area. Except I didn't have quite enough. Went to bunnings and layed the 5th bag after 30 mins. Thought I poured on a little too much so it is about 1- 2mm higher near the longe room entrance.

I think it should be fine - but would have been better if had it al to start with as it was goign real well.