PDA

View Full Version : Best primer for Meranti Windows

mreddie
10th August 2006, 06:25 PM
Hi guys

Gotta a quick one I wouldn't mind some advice on.

We've ordered some new Meranti Windows and would like to know the best primer to use on the timber before we install.

We'd prefer to paint the timber rather than stain.

Also your thoughts on a final finish for the outside, Acrylic or Enamel??? My first thoughts were a Dulux Weathershield Acrylic.......

Look forward to any suggestions and advice

Cheers guys
Steve

Ben (TM)
11th August 2006, 12:00 PM
I'm in the same boat. I assume just the normal pink oil based primer?

Pineman
11th August 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi, For starters I would be using Solver Paints instead of Dulux as they are alot cheaper and just as good. There are plenty of Solver stores around Melbourne. I would also go for an oil based undercoat. Make sure you tell the shop assistant that it will be used outdoors. If you know what colour you want to paint them you can even have the undercoat tinted.
As for finish coat there are a couple of things to think about. First is the finish you are after eg. gloss,satin etc. You can only use enamel outside if its gloss. Second thing is to remember that in years to come when you want to repaint the windows you will have to give another coat of oil undercoat. Oil based paints are also alot harder to use but the end product is worth it!
Acrylic paint still gives a good finish and can be done in different finishes eg gloss, satin etc. And when it comes to repainting you can apply another coat of acrylic straight over the exsiting one.

Ekim
12th August 2006, 03:27 AM
Dulux Weathershield Acrylic is self priming (see the instructions on the can). Some 5 years ago, I used Weathershield on bare exterior hardware. So far, so good (note that the timber was Jarrah).

If you intend using an oil based primer/undercoat with an acrylic top coat, allow at least 36 hours for the oil based solvents to properly evaporate.<O:p
<O:p
The above was advised to me by a Dulux consultant. Confirm the advice by telephoning Dulux’s Customer Service department on 132525 (follow the prompts until you get to Technical Services).
Incidentally, I recently purchased a 4lt can of Taubmans’s “AllWeather” exterior paint tinted with a Dulux colour and saved approximately $25.00 on the Dulux price. This combination was suggested to me by a senior paint bloke at Bunnings after I told him that I needed to “go cheap”. The colour matching was perfect.<O:p
Regards,<O:p
Mike<O:p

Cobber
16th September 2006, 11:22 PM
I tried the taubmans base white and added the dulux colours for pale stone (as Bunnings were out of the base coat). He said it would be similar but in actual fact it came out more yellow and an ugly colour so I reckon its hard to match in that case.