PDA

View Full Version : Manual Tile Cutter

Metal Head
9th August 2006, 08:18 PM
Hi,

As some of you will know (via another thread) that I purchased an electrical tile cutter from Bunnings last night. I had purchased a manual (hand operated) one (cuts tiles up to 300mm) a fortnight ago but I am not happy with it. I don't know if the tool is crap (although the guy at Bunnings recommended it to me as he had one and he is a tiler;)) or it is just my technique is incorrect:confused:. The Bunnings guy told me to go for this one (single location bar) rather than the twin tube located ones as there is less play (side to side movement) when scribing (scoring) the line. Thus it should make it easier to get a nice clean break in the tile(s) - is this info true?.

I have attached an image of the one I purchased - does anyone here have one - if so, does it work OK?. It wasn't the cheapest one they sold but is there one that you think in better value for money? this one was $65.

I would appreciate any help on these issues.

Cheers
David

Guy
9th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Its a crap tool, i had one used it a few times and took it back. Got myself one of those dual bar travel ones and since have never had any problems after 4 years its still going strong.

Honorary Bloke
9th August 2006, 09:41 PM
They must have been trying to clear out their stock. The dual-bar models are much better and more stable. The one in the picture is a P of C. Take it back.;)

journeyman Mick
9th August 2006, 11:30 PM
David,
what Guy and Bob said. I've never seen a tiler use the single bar models, always the double bar ones and usually quite a few hundred worth. BTW most cuts are done with a cutter rather than a saw or grinder. These are generally only used when doing a bevel cut on external corner tiles and cut outs etc.

Mick

PS you have to ask yourself what he's doing working in Bunnings if he's a tiler. A half decent tiler would make a hell of a lot more tiling than working in Bunnings.

Metal Head
10th August 2006, 09:28 AM
David,

PS you have to ask yourself what he's doing working in Bunnings if he's a tiler. A half decent tiler would make a hell of a lot more tiling than working in Bunnings.

Hi Mick,

I know where you are coming from (as I have thought the same) but I only usually ask the older (wiser:rolleyes:) guys who have gone past their use by date (in a competative sense).

Actually the guy the other day was telling me that when signing on (contract) to work @ Bunnings, they are not to tout or accept work offers from customers. This is so the customer(s) cannot come back to Bunnings management and say they had a Xc!* job done by one of their employees.

Guy & Bob (& Mick),

Thanks for your replies, I will be off to "B" later in the day seeking a replacement.

Cheers
David

mic-d
10th August 2006, 12:22 PM
Or if you want to spend $400 odd get a Sigma tilecutter.

Cheers
Michael