PDA

View Full Version : Big reno... what order

sandrandave
9th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Over the next 12 months or so we are doing up our house to be a rental property.
The list of things to do are as follows...
Polish floorboards, redo completely kitchen, redo bathroom completely, enclose front verandah and put internal staircase in, paint all internal walls. I think that is all.

When is the best time to polish the floors... when the kitchen is out? Or after we have enclosed the front patio and done the work for that. If we paint first will the floor polishers scuff the walls when they sand the floor?

thanks

Sandra

namtrak
9th August 2006, 11:04 AM
Depends on the job itself. Do you need to replace floorboards? Is the kitchen being completely gutted? Will the new internal stairs cut into the existing floor?
etc

All things being equal, the order would be to do the fitout work first - kitchen, bahtroom, stairs, patio and then do the painting and floor last. Generally you would do the painting then the floors, professional floor sanders wont leave any marks. You could do a 40 grit sand of the floor whilst the kitchen is out and finish it once the kitchen goes back in

Cheers

sandrandave
9th August 2006, 11:32 AM
thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if you know what this style of house it... it is in Townsville a 2 story, like an ex DHA house. I am not sure if I can explain it very well... but when we enclose the patio the stairs will then come up through where the patio is enclosed... hmm hard toexplain...

but thanks for the tips on the other stuff.. it makes complete sense.

Sandra