PDA

View Full Version : Painting Weatherboards Correctly?

Metal Head
8th August 2006, 11:30 PM
Hi,

Given that we had a fine day today here in Melbourne (and the tiling came to a halt), I decided to start on painting some of the weatherboards we had replaced a couple of months ago. Given the width of the boards is around the 100mm (4" for the olden's;) :D) I decided to use the same width brush. However, I soon realised there must be a better technique (no - not getting others to do it:D) to it given that my arms were soon feeling tired. I have attached an image of the brush I was using.

Is this the way to go?.

I am using acrylic gloss Dulux weathershield on top of the already primered boards. But the finish (I don't think) is that great:confused:. Should I invest in a better quality brush (and maybe smaller in size)?.

I would appreciate other (who would be far more experienced than I) members advice, as I have quite a few to do so I would like to get it right first time.

Cheers
David

journeyman Mick
9th August 2006, 12:17 AM
When painting heavily textured materials like weather boards, the pros usually use a small roller. I've got no idea what the proper name for them is but they call them "tampon rollers" :o . (well that's what my painter mates call them) They come in diffrerent lenghts 4" & 6" I think abd are a fluffy fabric roller about 1" or so in diameter, white :terrry towelling" type cover with thin red and blue lines on them. If you use these then you'll still need to do the crevices with a brush, but it will be alot faster than using a brush alone.

Mick

OBBob
9th August 2006, 07:51 AM
I sprayed the last place with an airless gun. Probably not the correct method ... but when faced with a whole house it certainly seemed the easiest! There is a lot of external wall when the internal ceilings are twelve foot high!

Rob

Fossil
9th August 2006, 08:50 AM
Get youself a good quality long bristle 4" brush, and get in to it. ;)
Don't forget to get your radio going, and stop for a smoke every twenty minutes.

I always mix in some flotrol to acrylics, which will give you a better finish.
Long bristle brush for acrylic, and short for enamel.
Also, mix up all of your paint before you start, to even out colour consistancy between tins.

Have fun. :)

Cobber
9th August 2006, 12:05 PM
Rob - how did it go with the airless gun? Did it look good. I will need to paint the weathrboards before they go up and Im considering an airless gun.