PDA

View Full Version : Drywood termites in ply internal walls....

veecol
6th August 2006, 06:48 PM
Hi there,

We have just discovered that we have drywood termites in our ply internal walls.

We are assuming we will have to rip out all internal walls and redo...

Any advice on this? Should we treat the frame while the walls are off to make sure they dont attack the frame in the future?

How difficult is it to DIY hang ply on internal walls?

Thanks,
Veecol
<!-- / message -->

Dan
6th August 2006, 08:42 PM
It might be worth trying to determine how long they've been there first. A good pest inspector/controller should be able to give you an idea of what damage to expect. You might be able to get away with retreating and making sure they've dissapeared.

journeyman Mick
7th August 2006, 12:31 AM
Veecol,
step 1 is to identify how the termites got into your house and how you will prevent them getting in in the future.
step 2 would be assessing the damage, probably removing the wall linings on side, anyway and having a very thorough poke around with a large screwdriver.
Step 3 identify which walls, if any, are load bearing or bracing walls. You may have to prop if they are loadbearing.
Step 4, replace studs as required, using LOSP treated pine.
Step 5, resheet walls with selected material

I would definitely get a pest controller in to see what can be done to prevent future infestation. What sort of ply is on the walls now? The most common ply I've seen as lining is that horrible random groove stuff. It's easy enough to fit yourself, but it won't do anything for the resale value. I'ts easy enough to hang gyprock and then get someone in to set it for you.

Mick

veecol
7th August 2006, 10:12 AM
We have been tossing up whether to rehang ply or to use gyprock. Not sure what sort of ply it is....from Fiji apparently and untreated. We have pulled a few sheets off and the termites are not in the frame....just seem to be in the ply....Because they are drywood, there is no 'trail' to a nest where they are coming in...so it is pretty hard to pin them down and treat....we have had it spot treated but new activity seems to pop up every now and then.

Someone suggested spraying kero into the walls!! Anyone heard of this?

Cheers