PDA

View Full Version : deck or paving over existing tiles

molly45
6th August 2006, 11:06 AM
I have an outdoor but covered patio area of very old tiles ( i think ceramic) which has a couple of large cracks right through and across the width. Had a small crack when purchased 10 years ago but since recent heavy rains has had a lot more movement.) It is a coastal holiday house and I am looking for an inexpensive replacement/solution as this space is used as entertaining/dining. Am thinking perhaps timber decking over the top. Area is 50 square metres. Sydney quotes were about $2500 just for materials ( there is enough clearance to put battens on the tiles and decking on top) or I was thinking about pavers - can these be put over the top of the existing tiles or do I have to remove them. Or, does anyone have another brilliant idea as this is a lot of moolah for a holiday shack! Thanks I am a first time user here but looks to be a great site.

Dan_574
6th August 2006, 01:46 PM
cheapest I reckon would be to just lay pavers over the top, how thick is the base? If its a proper slab say 75mm it would make the ideal base. Look for seconds pavers or even in the trading post for second hand.

molly45
9th August 2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback, am pretty sure the slab is ok so will check out some pavers.

namtrak
9th August 2006, 04:06 PM
Or, does anyone have another brilliant idea as this is a lot of moolah for a holiday shack! Thanks I am a first time user here but looks to be a great site.

Post some pics, keys and address (include weekends your not there, and Im sure someone will give you heaps of good advice) :D

Pics are handy though.